HybridZ

bad news for me, headgasket!!

SU'dCrazy280

I was all happy today because I finally got done with my whole four barrel set up, because I had a messed up FI system before. I got the cable linkage all hooked up to the pedal, and fired it up for the first time with it connected to the pedal. I drove it out of the shop and noticed a ton of oil leaking from in between the head and the timing cover next to the distributor. I wondered how the hell it could be the head gasket, I only had put about a thousand miles on the newly rebuilt engine, but that was the only gasket there. I then popped the valve cover and looked down the timing chain case, and my head gasket was clearly visible, the bolt hole on the gasket was torn, and it almost looked as if it got sucked in, which I know is not possible because the oil pressure pushes out anyways. I must have had the head gasket a little off set because I put my timing cover on after I put my head on, but it is weird how I never had any leaks before, and now it is like a waterfall. At least the engine sounds good though, runs great, holley 390 cfm, holley red fp, and arizonazcar intake manifold. But now Im left with having to take my whole head off and put on the new head gasket. While I have the head off, would it be a good idea to replace it with a metal one? Well, either way I have a lot of work ahead of me.

Sorry to hear about your head gasket, I had the same thing happen to mine about 1k after a motor rebuild. I used a cheapo headgasket and the bore spacing was off and I got a blow out between the waterjacket and cyl wall on #6.

I hate to sound like a salesman, but ive got a hardly used 1mm metal headgasket sitting here. since my L project is no longer, I dont need it anymore. PM me if its something you might be interested in.

Sorry to hear about your head gasket' date=' I had the same thing happen to mine about 1k after a motor rebuild. I used a cheapo headgasket and the bore spacing was off and I got a blow out between the waterjacket and cyl wall on #6.

I hate to sound like a salesman, but ive got a hardly used 1mm metal headgasket sitting here. since my L project is no longer, I dont need it anymore. PM me if its something you might be interested in.[/quote']

The dieing breath of my L24 was rad fluid in #6, I replaced the head gasket and it did not solve the problem, also I did not see a blowout. What a mystery.