HybridZ

Temporarily Protecting Bare Metal

Guest Trudge

I am preping my 77Z for a new paint job and in the process of sanding I have cut through the original paint and exposed bare metal in some places. What should I do to protect the bare metal from rusting. I've read some post that speak of "Flash Rust". Should I be concered about that. My Z will go to the paint shop in about a month for new Base Coat/ Clear Coat but in the mean time it is being stored in my garage.

Thanks!

Also you can treat your bare metal with Rust Mort, which RacerX recommended a long time ago, OSHPO is another one I have heard of. I have personally used Rust Mort and it works great at removeing flash rust on bare metal. Just be careful to wash it off or it will leave a light residue on the metal thats hard to take off.

El

I've been using Rust Mort for a while now and I have also had good results. I tested Rust Mort from SEM and Metal Ready from POR15 on an old hood and I can't tell the difference other than the slight difference in the color of the Zinc Oxide finish.

After I finish working a panel and if there is any bare metal I will usually wipe it down with a coat of Rust Mort, let it do its thing and then wash off the residue.

Thanks. It sounds like I was doing the right thing all along..:)