HybridZ

vg30e plenum comparison

Guest crowbar

Guest crowbar

http://www.redz31.com/pages/plenums.html

This data was posted at z31.com.

The tester seems to have only flowed one intake valve at different heights with each of the different plenums. I am not sure if he used the same intake port for each of the corresponding tests for each plenum but I would assume so.

I also assume he is doing a WOT setting during the tests.

My own preference for doing any test such as this would be to look for closely matched flow for all cylinders as well as the average flow being better than a baseline.

Guest Jason84NA-T
http://www.redz31.com/pages/plenums.html

This data was posted at z31.com.

Yup. :wink:

The tester seems to have only flowed one intake valve at different heights with each of the different plenums. I am not sure if he used the same intake port for each of the corresponding tests for each plenum but I would assume so.

Yes' date=' we did one intake port in one head at .100 to .500 lift.

I also assume he is doing a WOT setting during the tests.

Yes, the throttle bodies were wired open.

My own preference for doing any test such as this would be to look for closely matched flow for all cylinders as well as the average flow being better than a baseline.

Mine too.

1. Unfortunately that type of testing would cost about $1000 to complete thoroughly on a flow bench. Normal price is $25 per runner. Multiply that by 6 and then by however many plenums you want to test. Add a little extra if you port match the lower intake (because frankly, it does not line up well AT ALL) I did this with money out of my own pocket for the sake of the Z community. If you have your own flow bench or want to put up the funds, I would be more than willing to do more extensive testing.

2. According to numerous people I have talked to and my own personal opinon... the difference in flow from one port to the next on the modified plenums (engloid and lp) should be minimal.

3. This is by no means CONCLUSIVE, but it does give a good idea where each sits in terms of overall flow. The dyno results will be the real determining factor in which style of modified plenum is better, if any. Again, if you guys would like to pony up some cash it would be no problem to make piping for and dyno all the plenums. I know it sounds lame, but I'm in fact a student with a crappy part time job. I don't exactly have a lot of money to burn doing this stuff, and for now it's all coming out of my pocket.

Guest Jason84NA-T

1. That's not a scientific method at all; I have seen dyno results move 10hp in either direction taken 5 mins from one another.

2. That's not a vg30, it's a vg33. It's also a pathfinder plenum and not the stock Z plenum. The results are obviously going to be different.

3. That is also ANYTHING but conclusive. He should have done an ABA test with the throttle body because it' so easy to swap anyway. Then again, like me, it might boil down to paying for just that one extra pull.

Guest crowbar

In any case, it will be interesting to see the dyno runs. Hopefully each plenum can be run with and without the 60mm throttle body.

I assume you flow tested the same cylinder? Which cylinder was that?

Guest crowbar
1. That's not a scientific method at all; I have seen dyno results move 10hp in either direction taken 5 mins from one another.

2. That's not a vg30' date=' it's a vg33. It's also a pathfinder plenum and not the stock Z plenum. The results are obviously going to be different.

3. That is also ANYTHING but conclusive. He should have done an ABA test with the throttle body because it' so easy to swap anyway. Then again, like me, it might boil down to paying for just that one extra pull.[/quote']

The accuracy/repeatablity of the dyno should be factored into any technical investigation. But if you examine the 3000-4000 rpm range in the graphs, and not just the top numbers, you will see the torque numbers show a 40-50 ft.lbs differential. The dyno measures torque not horsepower. The top end numbers certainly do show a very close relationship. The startling improvement is in the 3000-4500 range. Note the corresponding air fuel also.

I agree an an ABA test should be done to verify the readings but also doing an actual vehicle time test could also be useful.

I sell many of these 60mm throttle bodies and most people, including myself, feel a low and mid range benefit. Throttle respose is improved.

By the way, I have a 200sxse and would have like to have sent you a plenum from this car to test.

Guest crowbar

Perhaps a cheaper and more accurate test can be done for measuring 'flow'.

I was thinking that a vacuum transducer can be used to measure each cylinders flow response. The transducer could be used near each intake runner (by the injectors area). A small hole drilled an a vacuum port established.

If the output of the vacuum transducer's electrical signal can be watched on an oscilloscope as the engine is running, the uniformity of the flow can be guaged. This, coupled with Jason's test data, could then expand the findings.