HybridZ

Hurst Pro-Billet Shifter / T56

Phantom

A while back my kids bought me a Hurst shifter for my '99 T56. It definitely shifts better than the stock GM unit and is built much better. There was an item of interest encountered on the install that would normally not be.

I ended up not using the shift lever that comes with the Hurst unit because it placed the shift ball about 5" closer to the firewall than where my modified Z shift lever was on the stock T56 unit. It turns out that the two bolts that hold the shift lever on have a slightly different centerline distance. Not a big deal but it required slotting the holes in the Z shifter a bit to fit on the Hurst unit vs the GM unit.

To further explain. My T56 shifter is actually located about 1/2" closer to the firewall than the original Datsun T5. I had a tab welded on the firewall side of my Datsun shift lever that moved the entire lever back about an inch and tilted it back a bit further so that it was perfectly located for me in my ideal seating position. I was tired of coming up short occaissionally on the 2-3 shift and certainly didn't want to be doing that on a much more expensive T56 at higher RPM's and loads. The setback and slight angle,combined with the stock bend in the Datsun lever put the shift ball about 5" closer than the perfectly straight Hurst lever.