HybridZ

question-installing side skirts and air dam

love-my-V8-280Z

I have bought a urethane air dam and fiberglass side skirts from MSA.

And yes the side skirts SUCK!

There is a huge gap along the bottom edge between the body and side skirt, at least one inch.

Question, when I install the air dam can I use fiberglass to make the urethane mold to the body? Will they bond together?

Regarding the side skirts, I do not see how I can make them fit with out bolting them to the body. There is going to be constant tension, I need to post some pics. I don’t see how I can not bond the side skirt to the body and make it look right.

I bought the Ztherapy fiberglass installation and repair advanced bodywork video and he is gluing the font and rear fiberglass air dam and rear bumper mold to the steel body and filling the gaps with fiberglass (and using bolts). From what I have read in the history its suggested that you should not bond them together as it WILL crack sooner rather than later..

Any feed back from someone that has done this would be great! THANKS!!

I think you are getting different processes mixed up. Bonding is usually when bondo is used to join pieces together without any other constructive/structural component. Adding fiberglass to put multiple pieces together is grafting. One thing that must be realized is that different materials will expand and contract to different degrees in various temperatures. If you live in a very cold or very dry climate you need to be concerned about this stuff. If your in a more mild steady climate, you should be fine I think. This is just word of mouth from other experienced body "masters" though. BlueovalZ, racerX, and a couple other guys on this forum should be able to fill you in better though on the specifics.

I'm seeing fiberglass holding a urethane onto metal. Fiberglass with definitely hold up better than bondo any day that is for sure :wink: