HybridZ

Want to port match , but it will remove the ceramic coating

pjo046

Well, here's the deal. Both my ported exhaust manifold, and the turbine housing on my turbo has been ceramic coated in the USA where I bought them, before it was shipped to me. (Ceramic coating, like anything else here is DARN expensive over here in Norway) Now, the T3 hole in the turboflange on the manifold has also been ported, so the hole is larger than the inlet on the turbo. Also, I have bought one of these: http://atpturbo.com/root/releases/release103105.htm

The wastegate flapper on this one is bigger than the stock one that came with the turbo, so to fully utilize this unit's potential, I thought I'd perhaps port the wastegatehole on the turbine housing to improve flow.

What I am concerned about is this: IF I port match the inlet on the turbine housing and also enlargen the wastegatehole, the ceramic coating in these areas will be removed of course. I won't have the money to recoat it because of the poor availability of such services here and the incredibly high cost. So would you recommend against doing the porting on the turbine housing? It would greatly improve flow, but could it cause the remaining ceramic coating inside the housing to start to peel of, and perhaps in the long run damage the turbine-wheel? I have no clue about this, that's why I'm asking

Hmmm The housings I have had coated here are only done on the outside anyway. I have not heard of having the inside of a turbine housing coated...

Me niether. Generally you don't want to coat the inside of the turbine housing. I'm guessing if the inside of yours is coated, it's probably only the first inch or two from the inlet flange. I wouldn't worry too much about removing that.

Ok. Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just sand away all of the inside coating then, so there won't be a problem with the coating breaking loose. Weird that mine has been coated on the inside if this isn't done normally. I bought it new from James Thagard.

The exhaust manifold is also coated on the inside as well as the outside. But I figure that won't be a problem since I won't remove anything from it as it was like I said ported before it was coated. Or should I be worried about that inner-layer breaking loose as well, even though it is all intact?

Guest 73Turbo240z

my parts were coated inside and out, and i've had to take a grinder to my turbo since then, it all breaks away very linear, so don't sweat sanding, if the ceramic coating was done right in the 1st place, it will etch away like the metal will, as fine dust.