HybridZ

Building Steps?

tfreer85

Okay, so I'm mapping out my plan for my build and from what I've read these are the steps to take when building from a bare shell:

1) Getting Organized

2) Doing all body-work, undercoating, then body paint first

3) Install Drivetrain

4) Suspension, wheels, tires

5) Interior

Now, I'm sitting on my engine choice, the body color will subaru blue, with a flat/satin black engine bay paint. Me and my father are arguing about steps 2 and 3, he thinks I should install the motor first before I do my paint so as to not scratch the paint. The motor choices that I'm looking at do NOT require engine bay modification, so the mock up step for fitment/modification IMO isn't necessary. Do you guys feel that these are the right steps to take? I figure a lot of you have rebuilding experiences so please explain what steps you took, what you would change, and how you thought it worked out for you. Thanks,

Tyson

Well for my view the engine and trans can be done separately while working on the body.

IMO the order of upgrades should be

brakes

suspension

chassie, interior

engine and egine related upgrades.

But since you're doing a ground upgrade, this doesn't really matter.

Me and my father are arguing about steps 2 and 3, he thinks I should install the motor first before I do my paint so as to not scratch the paint.

You won't scratch anything because you will remove fenders, inspection lids and cowl panel when you put in the motor. What ever lies under those beautifully painted blue body panels should be some sort of ugly, tough coating that is easy to touch up anyway.