HybridZ

Cam timing? or Something else?

Thumper

Ok I just swapped out an oil pump and a n/a cam into my z. The cam was off of a n42 head so I had to convert to external oiling. The car will not idle. But it will rev fine. I can hold the the throttle open and keep it running at 2000-2500rpms. If I let it go down to idle the vacuum will be around 5-0 mmHg. At higher idle 15mmHG. Upon deceleration 20+. The distributor timing is correct. The mark in the cam gear lines up perfectly with the mark on the cam tower. I am in the no.1 position. Both of the no.1 cylinder cam lobes are facing up. And are opposite each other. Maybe just maybe I am off one tooth but from what I can see I don't think so. Any suggestions please help? I knew I shouldn't have touched the car it was running so good.:cry2:

Well I moved my cam two teeth forward and two teeth back and compression got worse and then alittle better still not good. So I put the cam back the way I had it and installed my stock cam and bingo it worked perfectly. So... My theory is that the cam with higher lift is overpowering my hydraulic lifters at low rpm/low oil pressure. Then when i rev it oil pressure goes up and then they work normal. So basically my hydraulic lifters cannot handle the higher lift of the A cam out of 75' 280z. Well there went 6 hrs of my life:icon51:

I just went through this same drill with my 3.0 with a P90A head. I finally have a solid cam in it and solid adjusters. This is the 4th cam I have had in this new engine. I gave up on the hydraulics. I converted to solids. 4 cams in 156 miles! Not bad, right?

I just went through this same drill with my 3.0 with a P90A head. I finally have a solid cam in it and solid adjusters. This is the 4th cam I have had in this new engine. I gave up on the hydraulics. I converted to solids. 4 cams in 156 miles! Not bad, right?

Sounds like me with oil pumps and turbos.:trippen:

Did you get adapters machined or did you install a p90 solid head? If you got adapters machined how much did it cost. Thanks