HybridZ

Diagnose Sound in the Rear...

datzun240

Today i tried to figure out where the sounds were coming from in the rear. Below is what I did in order to try to narrow down what it was:

I first removed the halfshaft from each side so that I could isolate the wheel bearings as a possible cause of the sound. On the driver side i could spin the hub w/o any problem, but there was a metallic drag sound coming from it (i had the drum off of course). It was a metal on metal sound, but it wasn't dragging. On the passenger side, it was more difficult to spin the hub, but there was no sound coming from it @ all. I put everything back together and then put the tires back on. I forgot to mention that prior to this I made sure all my u joints were cool from the driveshaft all the way back the diff. I also checked my fluid lvl in the differential.

Next I had the rear end up in the air and had my helper get the rear tires moving from inside the car by going through a few gears. The first thing i noticed right off the bat was that the driver side tire was wobbling like no other (side that is easier to spin, but making metallic drag sound). However, i failed to recreate the sound that im hearing in the car. I did that a few times and then made sure the wheel was torque'd down properly and then went to have that one tire checked for balancing issues. Everything checked out.

When i took the car out for another drive after I checked everything, have narrowed the sound to be coming on about 30-40mph and it doesn't matter what gear I'm in. Progressively gets louder as the speed increases and the sound decreases as the car is on decel. The only conclusion I have come to is that my wheel bearings on the driverside maybe shot, but as it will take a few days to get the parts, I will have to wait. But I was wondering if a worn wheel bearing make it easier or harder to turn the hub? Because as I stated above, the side that was easier to spin was making the noise and the harder one to spin was making no noise @ all.

Just wondering what people thought of this, and hoped someone would chime in w/ their own personal experience, not the "my brother's friend's grandfather's car... " story. But Thanks in advance for reading the long post and hope to hear from anyone.

72 240z

r200 diff w/ urethane on mustache bar

Yea, they would be quieter in some corners depending on which side went bad b/c the load on them would be different. I was thinking about why one side would be easier to spin possibly b/c one side is greased still (the quiet side) and the other side is bone dry, so its just metal on metal w/ less friction so it would spin a lot easier than the one packed w/ grease. Still trying to figure out whats going on. thanks for the response though