HybridZ

Cam needed?

Airjockie

Of course it's needed...

Haven't posted here for a while, been doing some research and suck...but now to the setup.

I have a N42 block and head that took a crap on me, and I seemed to have snagged an F54/P90 engine that has about 800 miles on it, fresh rebuilt, put in a kids car, and somebody sideswipped him. The motor sat a while with the header and intake off, so I might pop the head off to check for moisture on the cylinder walls, it turns by hand smooth and I might just leave the head on if I don't see anything out of place. I'm setting the car up for week-end fun, and it's already gone too far to turn back. The oilpan doesn't have the turbo tube, so the block is the NA block. When I was running the other engine, it had a good pick up in power from 3000rpm up to 6000...and it seemed like it wanted to go more. The car is a 260Z, with a 5 speed, LSD, blah blah blah...

Anyways...I'm to the point to where I'm reading up on the cams...and I got to the page where all the specs for each cam is. The car is fuel injected with the 240sx TB, has a scrawny 6-3-2-1 header (which I might find something else to run, and I have 2.5 dia. strait back exhaust, but I might put a 3" pipe and an 11" long, 5" wide Super trap muffler. If I pull the head, then I'll do a mild p&p to it, so that means I might as well just buy a full gasket kit for it, and tear it apart to change the easy stuff now and save the headaches. Back to the cams...

I have a J cam, and the 280Z A cam....the numbers letter stamped on the back of the cam near the firewall....and I'm reading a higher duration cam is good, so I thought about it, and the A cam is 248 and the J cam is 240...according to this chart....

http://www.geocities.com/bruskiz/ZCamSpecs.htm

would I benifit from just swapping the cams?

and/or should I order something more in the 270 dur. area?

The car is set up for autocrossing and drift...

Hey, Air-j

The A cam will give you better performance than the j.

Better lift, duration etc...However, something a little bigger is always more fun than a stock part.

If you are using the stock fuel injection setup, You may have problems if you go with too big of a cam, i've heard it freaks out the flapper door in the airmeter.

You should be ok with something in the 260 to 270 range.

Beware though, more duration lift and overlap mean more raw gas out the tailpipe, and a possible no pass from the emissions demons.

I just put a P90 head on my motor with what I thought was a regular A cam at first (it did have some additional stamping on it but nothing that made any sense). It's definately a regrind of some sort because the idle is a little rough and power comes on real good after about 2500 up to around 6000.

All that being said, A cam can make a big difference in the !FUN FACTOR! of your car.

Mike.

I did the 280Z swap into the 260Z, got most of the bugs worked out, and it is the 280Z stock FI system, with a fabbed in fuel pump to push the gas to new 280Z fuel injectors via a JSK fuel rail. When the car was running, it had a lot of pep. I have the turbo maifold, but nothing else yet to actually turbo the car, except for plans to go all out over next winter....3.1 stroker, turbo, possibly mikuni blow thru carbs...stuff I find in Japan. I missed one auction for a full set up with the HKS surge tank...but I know I'll find another one later.

But for now, I'll do a mild build, try to get reliability for one season...and I'm just looking at the parts I have, what I can fab, and if I can snag a cam that would help the build for under $200 then go for it.

I ordered the head gasket kit from Advanced Auto today, so it should be here tuesday at the latest, then I can gasket match the head, and finish cleaning up the other parts and get them ready to install. The first drift event in my area this season is on the 18th, but I doubt I'll have time to finish putting it together, and work out any other bugs that might pop up.

if anyone has a suggestion on a different cam, that might work in this setup...please speak up....:-)