HybridZ

remounting 350 V8 in 260 using JTR method

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am concidering buying a 74 260Z with a 350 V8 that was mounted using the Scarab method. Is it possible to remount the engine using the JTR method and if so what would be involved? I am looking at the car this weekend so any prompt replies would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ambrose

Guest Frank280z

I have done this. Took one day. And four hands. Basically yank it out. Mount the JTR brackets. Remove the tranny brackets in the tunnel. Check the wiring reroute for heat clearance. And the brake lines as well. Remove the hood lacth assy. I would definitely recommend purchasing the jtr book before you attempt it. As for the car. If its a good deal and you know your plan....

------------------

Build it. Drive it. Improve it. http://www.angelfire.com/extreme2/frankzpage/

Ambrose, Yes, I'd so GO FOR IT! There are a few others that have gone from Scarab position to JTR.

Frank, other than all that, you'd need to shorten the driveshaft or buy a shorter one, right? About 4 inches shorter if you keep the same transmission. But install the engine/trans first and measure.

I hear the JTR book is back in print. Definitely get it!

Guest Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Ambrose:

I am concidering buying a 74 260Z with a 350 V8 that was mounted using the Scarab method. Is it possible to remount the engine using the JTR method and if so what would be involved? I am looking at the car this weekend so any prompt replies would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ambrose

My 240-350 V8 conversion didn't mount the engine as far back as the JTR method. (I still just can use the stock hood latch.)If I had to do it over I would push the engine

as far towards the firewall as possible. It buys the extra clearance that I have needed

for several modifications to the cooling, A/C and electrical systems. Pay attention to

the final alignment/balance of your drive-train components. Read the JTR book and the

material on this WEB Site. Good Luck and

good reading.

------------------