HybridZ

sd or maf

Guest big_bitty

Guest big_bitty

i dont plan on doing a whole lot to my motor, basically just a cam (crane cams computer cam for an 88 ho 5.0), will the sd computer i pulled out of my mustang be good enough?????????

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I'm a GM kind of guy, but I can chime in just a teeny bit on this one. As a general rule in the smallblock world, there seems to be a slight preference for speed-density systems for performance applications. From what I've gleaned (mostly at thirdgen.org), the sd systems are considered more versatile than speed-density, though it's almost universally necessary to fiddle with the bpm maps and lot of other goodies in the ecu eproms. That said, the maf systems seem more able to adapt without modification to relatively minor changes in the motor; however, as soon as major changes are made you also have to get into their ".bins". The sd guys, arguing from this point, claim that, since you're fiddling with the brains anyway, you may as well use a system that won't limit intake volume (which the maf does, 'cause you're limited to the "factory" sizes available).

Personally, I've always thought that maf is a more "elegant" system, but that's just me. Many modern systems, certainly on the GM side of things, essentially use both simultaneously.

The guy to ask is GrumpyVette, who posts here on HybridZ occasionally. He's one of the real old-skool pioneers and has forgotten more about efi systems than most of us will ever know.