HybridZ

280zx front crossframe location

I've got an '82 maxima I'll be putting a chevy v-8 in. the maxima has a front sump. what I'd like to know is the distance from the rear of a L28 to the crossframe(or rack). it's only about 6" from the back of the engine to the p/s rack lines on the maxima. I wanted to see if a zx crossframe could located this farther forward as mine is set back a few inches for the front sump. anyone have a 280zx that they can measure for me? :)

thanks

jesse

Just did a quick measurement on my zx with a SBC, engine is set back about even with the lower flat part of the firewall, comes to be about 12 to 14 inches to steering rack, rack is almost level with front crossmember, sticks up a little on both ends. Hope that helps some.

this sounds good. I'll be looking in pick n pull for a zx now... the reason a front sump won't work on the max is because I want to get is as far back as I can and if I run a front sump on a sbc it'll have only like 6" from the cross frame to the front of the motor so.....unless I want to move the motor way farther forward than I want, front sump is out.

I also set back the motor to within about 1/4 inch of the firewall to distributor. If you use a ZX front cross member you can buy JTR motor mounts which are adjustable front to rear and left to right, this makes it easier to place engine were you want it. Good to hear your "doing it right" if it was easy anyone could do it.