HybridZ

4L60E swap to 4L80E. Non Z but would appreciate any advice.

Guest 73TPIZ

Guest 73TPIZ

Guys,

I want to swap in a 4L80E to my '93 GMC Sierra 4X2 Ext Cab for towing and maybe a pass down the 1320 every now and then. My '93 was the first year for the 4L60E. What headaches would i run into? Is the wiring the same (plug and play)? How different are the dimensions and crossmembers? If different, should i just go to a JY and get everything from a 2500 and up truck? If so, what years are recommended?

Did the search. Got 9 hits with both trannys in the post but looked to be all Z related.

Thanks for any info.

Guest 73TPIZ

Thanks for the links Tim,

I guess it was too much to ask for a direct swap, but if i go through my motor I'd probably better go with the 4L80E. I was thinking of stroking to 383, convert to multiport FI (TBI now), headers, mild cam, and posi rear (I hate peg-legging). Any hard towing or blasting down the track and i don't think this tranny will hold it.

Plus, she's got 213k on it now. Tranny rebuild at 130k but engine's never had the valve covers off. Couldn't be happier with that. Runs great but she's tired.

I couldn't part with her after i bought my Titan last year. I still drive Betsy a good bit to keep miles off the new one and i get a lot of compliments on her everywhere i go. I'm gonna see if i can sell the Titan and put a little money into old faithful. She deserves it.

Later,