HybridZ

ECU light comes on and weird stuff happens

I bought two 280zx one an '81 and one an '82. Well the '81 had 230k on the engine and after a compression test I decided to toss it (it never ran right anyway). Well the '82 engine ran pretty good so I swapped them out. The only thing I changed was the ignition module to the '81 module because it didn't have the connection on the side for the timing adjusting (don't know for sure whether it advances it or retards it). Anyway, that module ended up being crap so I have the '82 module in it. So, if I start it up and take it for a drive it will run great for a while and then start running funny missing cylinders. All the injectors still make noise but the 1,2, and 4 cylinders aren't really contributing anything when it runs funny. Which is weird because 1,2, and 4 is every other cylinder in the firing order. They are getting spark (because I've hooked a timing light up to them) and the injectors are still clicking. When it runs funny the light on the bottom of the ecu is ON. When the light stays off it will run great but if you leave it running for a while the light will eventually come on and then it runs like crap. It also runs funny when the light is flickering.

I've swapped out the ECU's, used a different ign. module, swapped out the ECU, swapped out fuel pump, installed a new fuel filter, swapped out the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail, tried every combination of unhooking and hooking sensors, swapped out MAF sensor, had all the sensors besides MAF disconnected with the head temp sensor shorted out with a paperclip, swapped out the coil.

No matter what I do it still ends up running like crap after a while. I've thought about switching to a GM module which will probably be my next step if noone can help me out with this problem. Thanks for any help guys.

I remember reading somewhere on here that the light on the ecu was to show whether the O2 sensor was woking. Could of been a bad connection somewhere between the ecu and the O2 sensor. But I guess it doesn't matter sense its working now anyways.