HybridZ

Questions to the 280YZ kit guys

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

Im looking into buying a 280YZ kit for my blue Z, been speaking to john and he has been a great help and is a super nice guy!

anyways only concern i see is what to do with the stock fenders..

what do you guys do to your Z's where the stock fender was?

just cut it sorta out, bond the new fenders on and then maybe make a inner wheel well?

any pics?

also how much weight you think the front and rear fenders added to the car?

i plan on using the subtle Z front fenders and then my own custom air dam.

also plan on using a VTZ hood and a betamotorsports hatch..

have a few other parts saved for this build.

L28ET is also leaving in favor of something better...

anyways any help on those fender questions would be great!

mike

You can give me the old ones:mrgreen:.

I read that most people trim the lip on the old qtr panels and bond/rivet them on there. The old front fenders wieght like 10-15 lbs. each so you would be saving a bit in the front from stock.

Mike,I posted a couple of pictures in my photo album. I've got a lot more. Right now my YZ fenders are held in place with screws. Rick Bowers car Porkchop has YZ check out his latest post he talks about using Duraglass to attach them. Hope this helps let me know if you need anything else. Stale

http://album.hybridz.org/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=8070

You need to filet the rear fenders. By that I mean cut open the outer fender to an arch that matches the maximun diameter of the wheel house. Then cut radial slits in the outboard half of the wheelhouse about every two inches all the way around and bend them out to the outer fender. Then attach these slices to the outer fender either with rivots or by welding. Fill in the slots and glue the fiberglass fender on.

When it was all done I made fender liners out of thin sheet aluminum that spaned from the wheelhouse inner half to the YZ fenders. I used a rubber pinch weld molding on the edge that contacted the fiberglass and then sealed it all up with duct mastic (kind of like automotive seam sealer but a lot cheaper) I did this on the front too. Then I sprayed body Schutz in all four wheel wells to make it pretty and protect it.

I probably did mine the hard way... I just cut the stock quarter panels' and inner fenders' arches to match the curvature of the wheel house, then welded in an arch-shaped piece of metal to seal the inner and outer panels together. I then made an inner fender liner of fiberglass to complete the wheel house out to the YZ rear quarters, and duraglass/ fiberglassed the homemade liner on to the remaining steel body and new fiberglass quarters. Sadly, I don't think I took pictures of this, but will check.