HybridZ

I think I burnt something on my MS board

zane9000

So I found the short that was causing my fuses to pop. Aparently I didnt do a good enough job insulating the tansistors from the heatsink (err atleast the two that the assembly guide said to insulate). There was no continuity between the heatsink and transistor when I put it together, but there was when I started trouble shooting... So I dont know. ALSO, I found a solder bridge on one of the transistors near the LED's (I think Q6, Q7, or Q8 but I dont remember exactly which one).

Anyway, onto my new problem: I pulled the heatsink off to emiminate the possibility of another short there, I cleared the solder bridge, and hooked it all back up. I double checked all the wireing, replaced popped fuses, and fired her up.

When I turned the ignition key the fuel pump relay doesnt start. That realy is grounded through pin 37 on the MS connector. Then I ground the Fuel pup relay, it starts just fine, so I know the relay itself isnt bad.

I plugged the MS into my car's computer, fired up hyperterminal, no go. Tried MegaTune, it said it was not connected. Fiddled with com settings and what not for about 15 minutes, nothing.

I know the MS board is getting power for 2 resons. 1, when I turn the key all the LED's flash really quick, 2 some of the transistors that are supposed to be heatsinked start getting hot.

Can anyone tell me whick componetnts I might have fried? Or is this a lost cause?

I am running MS2 on a v3 mainboard.

You could have burned up the processor, diodes, or 5 volt regulator. Don't feel bad, my friend burned a processor up, he just ordered another chip and was back on the road. Before jumping to conclusions make sure you have 5volts at all the pins of the processor chip, the assembly guide tells you which ones. Also check voltage at the RS232 chip. Then put your multi meter in diode checking mode and check all the diodes on the board(remember the didode D8 may be shorted because the assembly guide tells you to build it that way), won't take very long. If your lucky you only burned up the 5 volt regulator and/or a couple diodes. If diodes are good and 5 volts at the processor socket is good, then lean towards a new processor chip.