HybridZ

LS1 and 6 speed at Tognottis in Sacramento

for a 01-04 LS1 anything more than $3500 is to much IMO. you can still buy a brand spanking new LS1, harness and computer for 6k i belive

But then used T56 trans are going for upwards of $2K. Also the crate LS1 doesn't include all the other accessories needed to complete the engine. The small stuff adds up quick.

I have seen complete pull out prices that range from about $2400 for a high mileage 98 with auto trans to $4500-$6000 for a lower mile, 02 with manual trans. Anything with GTO on it, even the LS1 variants, command a higher premium.

stock T56s have some issues, you should step it up to a aftermarket one anyways IMO. only accesory that you need on a crate motor would be the alt, already has a water pump on it.

Well, yeah. Need an alternator. But correct me if I am wrong but won't you also need a few other pieces to hook up the serpentine belt? How easy is it to delete the AC/ PS pump and any idler pulleys? Does the crate engine come with all the brackets and bolts? Also most crate engines seem to come with an automatic flex plate, so need to source a manual flywheel. Probably want a starter too. Pull outs usually throw in a driveshaft so need to source one of those, or at least the yokes. T56 clutches are expensive.

SDPS has this engine for $5495, but no harness or computer

http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/120/products/272467/Production-LS1-Crate-Engine-Minus-ECM-Wire-Harness.htm

Here is one that adds the computer and harness for $6,895

http://skillmanracingparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=2LM&Category_Code=GPE

I imagine the shipping will be a few hundred at least. Could any body give me an itemized list of what it would cost to add all the missing pieces?

Only reason I ask is I estimated I can do an entire swap for $8K and budgeted $4500 for the engine/tranny pull out . But I am also seriously interested in an LS2 crate engine ($5700 in the link below), but figure by the time I add all the missing pieces my $4500 engine/tranny estimate will be be over $8K by itself.

http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/120/products/272567/LS-364-440-Carbureted-Crate-Engine.htm

What am I missing? Can't figure out how I would get a new engine and used T56 for less than $8K. Why is it such a bad deal to drop 4 or 5 thousand on a low mile pull out?

i belive from GM parts direct was the 6k including stand alone harness and computer. buy the LS2 though. AC is on its own belt, so it is removed so easily. for the PS, you just get a shorter belt. T56 clutches run 3-700 depending. yeah a used LS1 is a good deal, but the LS2 is better, it already has upgraded heads and it has more displacement. it all comes down to personal prefrences and a budget in the end. id budget about 1000 for all the things you will forget lol

i belive from GM parts direct was the 6k including stand alone harness and computer. buy the LS2 though. AC is on its own belt, so it is removed so easily. for the PS, you just get a shorter belt. T56 clutches run 3-700 depending. yeah a used LS1 is a good deal, but the LS2 is better, it already has upgraded heads and it has more displacement. it all comes down to personal prefrences and a budget in the end. id budget about 1000 for all the things you will forget lol

Good info.

Thanks

unless its a 5,000 mile LS1 and M6 out of a 01 or 02 it deffinatly isnt worth that

Hate to keep harping on this. It may not "be worth it", but it is the going rate at salvage yards these days. I called the other day about an 37K mile, LS1/T56 out of an 01 Camaro and they wanted $6100.

The F body combos are getting more expensive every day. Even the ebay jobbers are asking more for these packages.

if you look around LS1 tech for 10 minutes you will find one much much cheaper. salvage yards are rip offs. they wanted $4000 for a front clip of a 4th gen f body. you can buy complete cars for that much. (btw thats no motor, just the metal)

LS1's out of '02 with low miles dont go for that much if you shop around. I have been looking on Ebay and also local sellers and I have seen 20-30k LS1/tranny combos going for $2500-3500. Of course some of the bigger salvage yards still want 4500-up and that is plain rediculous. A year or two ago sure but now the LS2's are starting to show up along with more LS6's. I would really like to get a LS2 myself but a LS1 with a cam and a few more mods will be plenty fun ESPECIALLY with an auto and a 3500 yank stall like I had in my old T/A.