HybridZ

value of mn47

Silent

depends on whats done to it. A head stright from the junkyard, pulled. probably anywhere from $150 to $200. cleaned up with a valve job, etc. closer to $300. ported and polished... who knows, depends on the work.

heads with cams at most U-Pull-it junkyards run about $85 after taxes, core and everything. so, with the PITA it is to pull a head, I figure about $150 is fair.

noaws? i dunno what you're talkin about!

::digs toe in the dirt:::

i don't have anything planned as of right now. just came across a maxima at a local u-pull it thing. was just going to see if it was worth my time or not. i may get a wild hair up my *** and build a 114 race gas only 13.5:1 motor for poops n grins, see if i can eclipse the 300 rwhp mark. or just build a sbc and save myself a headache.

• Administrators

The MN-47 would be cool, but I don’t feel it will give you any substantial power gain over what the P-79 were building for you, other than the slight bump from in power form compression ratio and as you noted, race fuel will be your guys main diet.

If it were me, and being as I’ve been down the N/A L-series AND the SBC avenue for my personal Z cars, the SBC is hard to beat. Reliable 350 HP and completely docile around town from an engine that cost less the build than the L-series is pretty hard to beat…

My measly little 330 HP Chev 350 running anemic Edelbrock Performer intake, OE Iron heads, (that I reworked of course), 1.94” 1.50” valves, and World Class T-5, in my 2700 lb 280 Z ran 12.3 @ 113 MPH on some real cheesy 195 60 HR 14” all season tires and way wrong gearing for the drag strip. Engine idled glass smooth at 750 RPM with NO lope, got 20+ MPG with Holley 650. Here is a link with a real crappy picture of the V-8 install just after I installed it, (plug wires were a mess etc), and there is a pic of my EFI L-28, and of the car drifting…

http://www.datsuns.com/projects/paulrproject.htm

Here is the 12 second time slip

http://www.datsuns.com/timeslips/paulr101098best.jpg

FWIW, by the end of the is summer, (have to get caught up on customer projects first), I will get started on putting together another V-8 Z for my daily driver. This one should be strong in the 11’s. I already have the ’75 shell that is straight and virtually rust free and also already have the complete assembled SBC 355 short block that came from an ’85 Vette complete with ARP hardware throughout, brand new Kenny Duttweiler Trickflow aluminum heads with CNC chambers, T-56 trans, Aluminum driveshaft already shortened for the T-56 V-8 Z with new U-joints and R-200 adaptor, all motor mounts, aluminum water pump, gear reduction starter, Fluid damper, etc. The only parts I’m missing are headers and an intake manifold. I’m seriously considering scratch building an EFI Intake that resembles the Dodge Viper in design and running WOLF 3d EMS with COP ign.

Sorry for the tangent, but V-8Z just plain ROCK!!!

If your looking for a dual TB setup that resembles the Viper without spending the big bucks, check out the first gen dodge intrepids at your local yard. The 3.5L engine that came in them has an almost identical TB setup. I got both of my TBs and the balance shaft for under $50. As a side bonus to that there are 58mm TBs available that can be made to fit with minor mods. 58mm is the stock TB bore on the Viper, in case you didn't know.

Sorry for sidetracking.

• Administrators

Dave,

Thanks for the head ups. I’m actually using the Intrepid Coil pack for the DIS ign on our L-28 powered F-prepared 240’Z.

http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=15436

I never thought to look very closely at the Intrepid intake while pulling the coil packs. Are the twin cammers the 3.5L or the single cammers? We have both at our local U-pull-it yard currently

By chance are you contemplating a similar intake design for a V-8?

Sorry for hijacking Silent... ..

Acctually, I have the TBs for my daily driver which is a 1996 Dodge Intrepid! Like every other car I own, I want it to be faster so mods are plentiful... Unfortunately trying to get custom parts made is a pain since most people think I'm just some punk kid who doesn't know what he's doing, its really starting to annoy me. There were a few different engines used in the intrepid, the 3.3L is OHV, the 3.5L, 3.2L are SOHC, and the 2.7L is DOHC. All are based on the same block but there are different versions of each with interchangable and non interchagable parts, the details get a little fuzzy but any engine that looks like this has the correct TB's...

11647100_2116.JPG