HybridZ

Master Brake Cylinder-Nissan Truck???

Guest needwaymorespeed

Guest needwaymorespeed

Read an articlle the other night on upgading the z brakes,it mentioned using a master cylinder from a nissan truck because it has a 1 in. bore.

Problem is it didnt say what year and if it was a direct bolt on.

Anyone know?????

Would like the bigger bore versus the 79 280 zx 15/16 -like the idea of having less pedal travel and higher hydraulic pressures.

Curtis

quote:

Originally posted by needwaymorespeed:

Read an articlle the other night on upgading the z brakes,it mentioned using a master cylinder from a nissan truck because it has a 1 in. bore.

Would like the bigger bore versus the 79 280 zx 15/16 -like the idea of having less pedal travel and higher hydraulic pressures.

Curtis

Curtis, be careful. Their is a point where you lose your modulation/sensitivity control (ie. if range is 1/2" vs. 2" just for example) as the range is so short you can't modulate it properly. My ZX unit operates my large 2 piston PBR aluminum (dual 40 or 44mm pistons, don't recall exactly)calipers and OE rear pistons v. well. I wouldn't want it shorter myself. We'll see what happens after I stuff some larger calipers and 12' rotors out back (hopefully next summer).

Even though it's only 6% more diameter (15/16 vs 1"), it works out to 13% more area and volume.

I've heard that the 15/16" 280ZX MC is plenty adequate for the Toyota caliper (non-vented at least, not sure about the vented) and Arizona Z car brake upgrades.

It all depends on the area of the pistons in the calipers. What upgrade were you looking at?

When I went from the 3/4" to the 15/16" I could tell the difference in both pedal pressure and travel. Definitely less pedal travel but actually LOWER hydraulic pressures. Since the 240Z has a small booster I have to stand on the pedal much harder to lock them up.

If you have an automatic I think you can fit a larger booster to help offset the higher pedal pressure required, (if you have enough engine vacuum).