HybridZ

What size thread for OIL inlet?

Nismo280zEd

I did a couple searches but couldn't come up with the size for the Oil pressure sending unit. It looks about like a 1/8" npt, but i'm positive the Z block didn't use an npt thread on it. That would be way too easy. So I was looking on Egauges to try and get the right sender for the VDO gauge i'm gonna run. Thye have m10 and m12, but it looked more like an M8 to me if we go by metric bolt sizes. and of course they have the 1/8 npt fitting, but they also have a 1/8" NPTF not sure what the F stands for? they also have a 1/8"-28 BSP fitting, I'm guessing this is a british standard?

If anybody knows that'd be great. It's not easy for me to get to the hardware store to try and find a match to determine the thread type and pitch.

Thanx again,

ED

ed, I think (please notice I said THINK, I'm nort sure) NPTF stands for national pipe thread FINE. There is also NPTC, national pipe thread course. I believe these are the two thread pitches that NPT come in. Also, and please don't take this for gospel truth, I'm only putting this out there because nobody else seems to be biting, I'm almost positive the threads for the oil pressure sending unit are metric, not npt. I have that book, the one about building hot rod datsun L motors at home. In it the author suggests tapping out the hole to a npt size, a suggestion I'm not sure I agree with and not really an option if the motor isn't tore down. But anyhow, I think he calls out the metric size of those threads and if you want I'll look tonight and see if I can find that info. (I'm at work right now)

So I was lookn' at the block I'm about to tear down in my garage, Yes I agree I believe it's metric not NPT. Anyway.. i was lookn' at it.. and I had some M10 bolts lieing around... tried threading a couple in. M10x1.50 is standard pitch i believe for that size. I also tried an M10x1.25 that threaded a little.. so i'm guessing it's even a finer thread than that... say M10x1.00? I guess that is the equivalent of fine thread. I'll have to get a bolt ot know for sure though.

-Ed

Well... I checked the book 'How to modify your Nissan & Datsun ohc engine' by Frank Honsowetz and it does indeed tell you to tap it out to 1/8" npt but doesn't say what the original metric thread pitch is. My tap and die set came with a thread pitch guage, maybe you could get one.