HybridZ

Another New Guy

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Greetings fellow Z8ers! I am so happy that I found this forum. I am surprised to find this many people interested in the hybrid Z. Let my introduce myself right quick. My name is Chris and I live in Al-b-a-turkey, New Mexico. I remember along time ago when I was around 10 or 11 I saw in the back of a car mag an advertisment with a picture of a Z smokin the tires like there was no tomorrow. I read the few lines it had and it mentioned a V8. Being at an age where driving was frowned upon, I dreamed that one day I was gonna have a car like that, a Z with a Chevy in it. Well, after I moved to Albuquerque I spotted a very nice looking Corvette yellow Z in the parking lot at my work. I walked over to it and started poking around. I looked in past the vents in the hood and saw "Goodwrench". I nearly wet myself. redface.gif I had never seen a V8Z before, except in my dreams Anyway, I poked around more and saw a for sale sign in the back. As I was writing my love note to the owner, he came out. I ended up buying it a few months later. This car had a stock goodwrench 350 crate motor with a Holley 4 barrel and 700R4 and zero rust. After driving it for a couple of years now I'm ready to improve my Z further. After stumbling onto this site, I have for the last few days read and read what I could. I love all those "war stories"! I am fairly dumb when it comes to working on cars...I'd love to know more and do more, so please be patient with my questions. I've learned a great deal by searching all the threads on some topics already. This post is long enough, just wanted to say hi and thanks.

Chris

------------------

[This message has been edited by Razor (edited February 19, 2001).]

Guest Anonymous

Greetings Chris! Ask away, theres usually someone around who can answer a given question, if not at least we'll kick it around till there are at least some general idea's to a solution.

Respectfully,

Lone

Welcome to the site! Even though yours seems to be a "finished" car, there is always more to be done!! Most of us have ongoing projects, but some of us are lucky enough to actually drive our cars. Glad yours is that way! Stick around and have some fun with us...

David

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I have a 78 280 with a stock goodwrench 350 and a 700R4. The supension is is unmodified. So before I upgrade the heart of this moster I want to fix up the suspension first. I found a guy here that races a Z in the SCCA and is an instructer at the track as well. He is gonna help me with the suspension. As far as brakes go, mine are lame. I wanted to go with some aftermarket ones like Baer or Wilwood, but I can't afford that yet...so in the meantime what are my options. I had read about using some ZX parts. I just happen to have a very rusted out but running 81 nonturbo that could be used for a donor. What parts can I keep to use on my 280? Are the brakes good for a swap, master cyl and calipers and such.. Is the rearend in the 81 the R200 I have read about? How much of the rear end can I use from the 81? Any ideas on what I can use off my rusty 81 would be great! Thanks for the help. Anybody here live in NM and near ABQ?

Mike/SCCA over at fonebooth.com sells plenty of brake kits - some are HUGE! If you're not willing to go hi-dollar then upgrading to Toyota calipers and possibly the rotors too would really help. I'm betting you'll want to stay with 4lug wheels that don't cost a mint so that will help guide your decision.

As I understand it there are basicly two setups (unless you go bigger $$)- Toyota calipers with solid stock rotors and Toyota calipers with vented rotors. The vented is the better choice for hard(er) driving however I found that the solid rotors did okay on my car. The advantage of the Toy calipers on the stock rotor was greater pad contact. Those brakes from my car are now for sale and I'm looking to go with BIG brakes and 5lugs.

Others here and at Zcar.com can help you decide which is best and what parts to get. I think Mikelly's WEB page has a tech article on the vented setup. Research them both - I'd also say research the BIG brakes that SCCA offers. They are more expensive but possibly not that bad over over the Toyota stuff. Probably not in the realm of what Baer would charge at least smile.gif