HybridZ

Sanding and Painting

lithium4750

I am painting my 260 in my garage and I'm wondering if my process is going ok. So I'm putting it up here to get it "approved" by some more experienced painters. Mainly it's my sanding process.

I start by sanding down the original paint with 320 grit, down to a smooth dull finish. Then do 2 or 3 coats of primer, and sand with 400 or 600 grit to smooth out the lines from the 320. Now I start putting the basecoat on. Any pointers, or helpful tips?

where in GA are you? are you in the Atlanta area?

As you can see I am just sort of ripping my Z down to bare metal. I don't plan on this being a great looking paintjob but I think it will look good cuising down the road. I am just rolling the paint on while the car is on jackstands. you can look at my worklog under misc. tech or my thread "here we go again...rolling paint" onder this body kits and paint a little further down .I am definitely a NOOB at paint myself. just want mine to look decent and better than the peeling black that it is/was

I did 200 (for bondo spots) then 400 all over then 600. I sprayed primer on each section i was working on. If your going to be painting the car yor self i cant help you beyond that prep work. But if your sending it out to a shop to paint then a good 600 all over to take out any chips or pits is good enough.

I primered, then hand sanded with 200, primered again. then hand saned again with emery(sp, tired) cloth in areas needing bondo.

bondo'd, sanded down bondo'd areas using 60 using and a finishing sander (the fast vibration makes it sand as though it is 200, but I suggest using 80 with a finishing sander).

Really light coat of bondo in areas with deep scratches and poreous bondo areas. then hit it with finishing sander with emery cloth. Primer, then hand sanded dull with 600.

That is what I did to my hood. I'm still deciding color(s).