HybridZ

rear end ID?

Hey All,

I am new to this particular swap and would like to identify the rear end and gear ratio in my 76 280. From what I've read the best choice is the 200 and I may be interested in that route. I am primarily interested in straight line acceleration, i.e. drag racing..though i like the way this car handles so I'd rather not go with a solid axle.

How about upgrades to the stock rear end (assuming that's what is in it?). Spicer U-joints or?

thanks in advance...

------------------

RickB

280V8

350/700R4

12.77 w/radials & pump gas so far...

http://photos.yahoo.com/bornabovhttp

Solid Us are supposed to be the hot ticket. I bought "Spicer heavy duty" U joints from MSA - they were hollow and drilled for grease - doh!

Neapco #1-0029BF is supposed to be a solid joint. Note that I'VE not picked them up yet so I could be wrong - check before you leave the store. However if you want Spicers I've got a set here :-)

Rick, it seems like what works on one Z does not on another so its like flipping a coin. I have had good luck with the Neapco solid Us. I, like you, do more drag racing with the Z than anything else. I launch with 8# boost on a t-brake with sticky DOTs and then a V-8 Z puts that same axle set in his car and they break testing on the street with street tires. Go figure.

I suppose any parts store that sells Neapco should have them, but I bought them from a driveline shop. My recommendation is to move towards the optimal IRS setup of an R-200, 280ZXT CVs, 280Z stub axles and adaptor. You already have the R-200 and stub axles, leaving the CVs and the adaptor but ironically that is the sticky part. The issue is, what is the best adaptor? If you are new to the forum, check out the excellent articles in the Tech Info section and look at past posts in the "Brakes, Wheels,.." and "Drivetrain". When you are done, you will be totally confused rolleyes.gif like most others but have a better understanding of the issue.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

http://www.mindspring.com/~vscott911/gnz.html

Great reply Scottie, BTW...I've played with a GN engine for the past couple of years.

From what i understand then the 280 already has a R200 though obviously no posi.

So I will need solid U's, ZX turbo CV's and adaptor huh...hopefully i can get some help from a local GN/Z-car guy i think you are familiar with (Greg K from the Dallas/Arlington area).

In the mean time I'll be reading and absorbing as well.

RickB

280V8

[This message has been edited by RickB (edited October 26, 2000).]

Doh...newbie mistake. Well then I'll start with adding in the solid U's and see what happens. I was planning on calling a driveline shop today.

I've been racing once a month with Greg for a while now..you should have seen the match races with his brothers juiced Mustang eek.gif

thanks for the direction.

RickB

280V8

[This message has been edited by RickB (edited October 27, 2000).]