HybridZ

KA tranny on 76 280z auto

DrJ

Hey all, I just picked up my first z yesterday morning and I'm already in love. Only problem is, it's an auto. My buddies have a few KA trannies laying around and have done quite a bit of searching on here and learned it's possible to swap, but I stlil have a few specific questions.

I think I read that in order to put a KA tranny on, you must swap the bellhousing from the original tranny, is this true, and will it work with the bellhousing from the auto tranny or will I need a bellhousing from a manual?

Looks like it should be fairly easy to put in clutch master cylinder since there is a blank for it on the firewall, and I'm probalby going to have to find pedals in a jy, so I'm just wondering if I should pick up a bell housing while I'm there.

thanks for the help

James

haha, sweet, you've got dibs, I think I'm just going to try to find a 5spd l28 tranny and not bother w/ the ka swap at this point. I'm assuming the zx 5spd bolts right up w/o having to modify the driveshaft is this correct?

alright, one last noob question. If I stick w/ a Z 5spd instead of a ZX do I still need a manual driveshaft and if so, does it still need to be shortened? I'm assuming the length would be ok since it would be a basically stock 5spd, but are the auto and manual driveshafts different?

alright, one last noob question. If I stick w/ a Z 5spd instead of a ZX do I still need a manual driveshaft and if so, does it still need to be shortened? I'm assuming the length would be ok since it would be a basically stock 5spd, but are the auto and manual driveshafts different?

Yes they are different, partly because the manual and auto came with different differencials.

Does your friend just want to get rid of the KA tranny? I need a KA tranny. Anything wrong with it?

They have a couple extra that got replaced w/ rb and ca swaps in 240sx's. there is nothing wrong with either of them, I'll see if he wants to sell them or not, dunno how much shipping would be to alaska though.

They have a couple extra that got replaced w/ rb and ca swaps in 240sx's. there is nothing wrong with either of them, I'll see if he wants to sell them or not, dunno how much shipping would be to alaska though.

K thanx. Oh BTW I would swap pretty much everything from the tranny back.

the auto 280z came with a R180 diff, and the manual version came with a slightly more beefier R200. I think it would be easier to just drop the whole rear and swap them, then you wouldn't need a custom driveshaft.

beautiful, that was going to be my next question. Now I just have to decide if I can put up with driving auto until I get an RB and tranny to drop in, or if I should swap tranny, driveshaft, pedals, and diff now.

With the pedals, you don't need to swap them. You just need to bend the brake pedal to the right a little and then grind at the pad to narrow it, then you just need to install a clutch pedal and all the things that go along with that.