HybridZ

The best engine for $4000?

Guest Anonymous

Hey Z-D, sometimes I seem to come across as pushing the V-6 turbo, but I just want folks to know there is an alternative to the SBC. Glad to see others taking notice.

The GN project is interesting, taking the hi-compression low-boost route, but with the alcohol and that awesome air-water I/C, it has the potential for 800-1000hp.

Conley's is one of the most respected names in the GN world.

Derek Grubb and I exchange emails and his car is an inspiration to me. He is running 10.59 @ 130 with just a turbo upgrade and a massive I/C from a 747 (the 747). With a 9" 3500 stall and 7" motorcycle tires he cuts a 1.49 60'. Talk about low-budget, he is still running the IRS with a 3.36 R-200, halfshafts and 280ZXT Swastika wheels.

Scottie

Guest Anonymous

I'm one lucky SOB.

So, would you guys say that a 95 Vette LT1 with T-56 and (supposedly) 40k mi on it is worth... $1200?

Yeah, I thought so too.

Was gonna go the LS1 route, but now that I have a Vette motor in my garage, I think I've changed my mind. Now all I need is a computer/harness.. That's another $800. OWell, it's still a helluva deal.

Anyone got specifics on the differences between installing an LT1 vs. a regular 350?

Do yourself a favor - get hold of the TPITBI swap book from JTR. Generally they tell folks to stay away from the 'Vette motors because the accessory drives have such whacky routing and packaging but at the price you got I'd take it and run like hell! Congrats - that's a terrific deal. The swap book will also help you figure out which computer and harness to grab. Some are MAF, some have anti-theft stuff, etc, etc.

P.S. Not sure what you can do to see if it's hot but you might try calling your local police station and asking. I sure hope it's not - that would really screw the deal up...

• 7 months later...
Guest Anonymous

if you want a road racer with a crap load of horse power that can spin mega rpm's...there is only one choice in my opinion. and you cann build it for a lot less that $4000 if you are resourcefull and patient. build a 377 ci motor. Massive rpm range and huge horse power with lower torque. You have to get a 400 small block and use a 350 crank (i do not remember the rods to use but Keith BLack Hyperutectic (spell?) pistons are inexpersive and very light (good for low reciprocating weight ie. high rpm stability). you have to use spacer bearings which are very reliable, don't let them scare you...... find people who use a 377 and ask them.. they will all tell you that for horse power and rpm there is none better

jake

73 240Z

Yeah, I've been thinking about the 377 motor after thinking loooong and hard about the 383. I know I'll run into some flak here, but the 377 just seems to make more sense in a light Z car. The only difficult thing is to find a premium 400 block--not only are they getting harder to find, but many have issues by design. But still, man what a combo!

I like the 377ci idea.

There are multiple volume paper back books sold by Cartech which compiled multiple Hotrod articles.

This particular book is volume 9 entitled "How to Build Big Inch SBC's". In it they did a 4 part section from beginning to end-using a low budget builders prices & built a 377.

The engine produced 516 lbs.ft. @ 5400rpm's while kicking out 589HP @ 6500rpm's. They rev'd the engine on the Dyno all the way up to 7000rpm's where it made 432 lbs.ft. & 576hp.

They didnt give final $$'s for the package. But at the end they discussed what could be done to get 700hp out of it & made the comment then they would exceed the $5000 mark implying their 377ci was kept under the $5000 build. Not to bad for all that power.

BTW: This eng.build was done by Ron Shaver @ Shaver Racing. He didnt like the idea of using "Bearing Spacers" so they chose a Strong Bow-Tie 4bolt block.

I found the book at Barnes & Nobles in the automotive section.

Kevin,

[This message has been edited by Kevin Shasteen (edited February 22, 2001).]

January's issue of Hot Rod has a 383 stroker build up dyno'd at 421 peak HP at 402 #'s tq for under $2K! ....of course they are using pick-a-part and swap meet pricing for the block, intake and carb; but even at retail pricing you have some serious power for ~$2500 and keep $1500 in your pocket - not a bad deal and very buildable for the average garage mechanic. Part #'s and sources are also available in the article or from their website ....