HybridZ

rear 5 lug brake swap donor??

OK, for those of us into our brake upgrades...

anyone looked at these Tbird rear brakes as donors for us 5 lug's? Mike have you seen them before? http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12how-to/irs/irs.html

vented disks but not sure if they're larger than my ZX oe stuff... just caught my eye and hoped to start a ball rolling;^)

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

I have a dumb question- how adaptable is that rear end. seems to me you would have a few benefits - adjustablility, an 8.8" rear end and all of the ratio choices that go with it, and disc brakes from any T-bird/Mustang. They have tons of upgrades for calipers for that- like Brebro, Wilwood, etc. Might be an expensive propostition, but if you're going to redo your whole rear suspension anyway, and upgrade to discs/R200/CVaxles, might be a good upgrade.

Just a thought.

AL

------------------

http://refuse.netdojo.com/Zcar

quote:

Originally posted by scca:

havent seen them but a mustang 5 lug rear brake setup is only a single piston caliper

EVEN the cobras.... and the rotor is about a 11" diameter. so not any better than using 280ZX stuff IMO

Current late model cobras do have a fine rear brake system of 11.6" diameter AIR but their upcoming ebrake recall has me concerned. Haven't heard the reason but it's due top a few of them rolling away and ebrake failure etc. It's as much more rotor and a little more piston at a minimum I want, a lot more piston and rotor would be gravy.

As for using that Tbird rear subframe, it looked v. heavy to me??I have a hard time seeing gearing below 3.36 really justified and given that's available (albeit expensive, but diff rebuilds on any donor aren't cheap) no huge need to change. IF someone packaged an improved rear susp/diff/brakes the benefit MIGHT become worthwhile IMO.

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

i know ford brakes! that is what i do at work.the recall about mustangs rolling away is on the news but no notices at work yet.the public gets news faster than we do.the ebrake handle assembly slips.nothing to do with rear of car.ford rear brakes are light duty made in brazil junk.th z31 & z32 300 zx have nice looking vented rotors.i would probably build some billit aluminum brackits and run willwood calipers.

Guest Anonymous

I think if I were to undertake that Tbird rear end in a Z, that a lighter strong cradle could be made to hold the center section without all that cradle and totally changing the rear suspension system. The Center section could probably be mounted in the Z no problem, the ford axles might (almost certainly) need shortening and resplining and it would take some doing, but the Datsun stub axle housing could probably be modified to accept the Ford axle, bearing and wheel stud assembly (this would not be a bolt in, thats for sure, might even involve a custom stub axle housing. Yikes!). Of course this is pure bench racing, but nothing is really impossible when it comes to this stuff, just either really impractical, or really expensive. Sounds cool on paper, don't know if I'd put my money or time into doing it.

Lone

Guest John Adkins

How about using 280ZX halfshafts with the differential end resplined to use the Ford inner joint? That way you could use just the Tbird center section and inner joints but keep the rest of the Z rear suspension....

Guest Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by John Adkins:

How about using 280ZX halfshafts with the differential end resplined to use the Ford inner joint? That way you could use just the Tbird center section and inner joints but keep the rest of the Z rear suspension....

Good idea, even easier (well relatively smile.gif ).

Lone

havent seen them but a mustang 5 lug rear brake setup is only a single piston caliper

EVEN the cobras.... and the rotor is about a 11" diameter. so not any better than using 280ZX stuff IMO.

i was hoping that the cobra had a dual piston rear with ebrake internal but NO.

i do believe it was a vented rear rotor though but thats the same as a 87 300 anyway.

------------------

Mike

mike@fonebooth.com

http://www.fonebooth.com/brakes.html

raceparts and brake upgrades.

Or, you could do what SCCA has said a few times- build an adapter to go from the Ford half shaft to the companion flange. I agree, the entire suspension would be kind of heavy, but it would also be sprung weight, and the Z is pretty light anyway. but the 8.8" rear end is pretty indestructable, so swapping that in would be benficial. How about this-swap in the differential, half-shafts, and use an adapter between the half shafts and flange? Sounds pretty strong to me. tougher to break than an R200 and easier to come by parts.

------------------

http://refuse.netdojo.com/Zcar

the easy way to put 8.8 tbird axle shafts would be to respline 280zxt shafts to fit tbird inner cv joint.probably the only reason i would put a 8.8 in would be to get a more liveable axle ratio with a v8 car so i could make long runs and get 20 mpg.at thunder hill i saw a v8 miata with a tbidr rear.the tbird axle shafts dont have drive flanges on the wheel ends.the go through the hub like a front wheel drive car.the wheel bearing is a front wheel drive bearing and is not as strong as a 280 z stub shaft & bearing assembly.