HybridZ

Dakota Digital gauge installation

CruxGNZ

These gauges are pretty cool. Here's the ones I got click here. This is why I went with Dakota Digital instead of your normal run of the mill Autometer gauges:

Displays included with this instrument system: Speedometer (0-255 MPH or KPH), Tachometer, Oil Pressure, Water Temp, Voltmeter, Fuel Level.

Also shown is: Odometer, Trip Odometer, Resettable Service Odometer and Hourmeter.

Several performance calculations include: 0-60 MPH (0-100 KPH) timer, ¼ mile timer, ¼ mile speed display, High Speed recall and High RPM recall.

Various Indicators can also be displayed such as: Turn Signals, High Beam, Check Engine, Parking Brake, Cruise Control, 4x4 (when equipped), Wait to Start (when equipped).

Automatic Transmission gear indicator is also included which will display the full name (ie: Park, Overdrive, etc.) of the current gear. Utilizing the gear position indicator will require the use of a Dakota Digital GSS-2000 or GSS-5000 sending unit.

Dakota Digital instruments systems also include a Demonstration Mode which will cycle the instrument readouts while the vehicle is standing still. This is especially popular while the vehicle is on display at a show, event or simply displaying the instrument system.

Full Metric conversions will cycle between MPH or KPH with the press of a button. If full (Celsius & KPH) metric instrument systems are required, please specify upon ordering.

Necessary sensors included for oil pressure (1/8” NPT), Water Temp (1/8" with bushings for 1/4", 3/8", 1/2” NPT) and speedometer pulse generator.

Fuel level gauge can read either OEM sensor, or any aftermarket style currently available. A universal fuel level sender, SEN-06-1, can be purchased from Dakota Digital if necessary.

Fully programmable speedometer for various tire sizes, rear-end gearing combinations, etc.

Built-in dimmer will reduce the display intensity as headlights/ parking lights are activated.

Fully adjustable warning points alert the user of potential vehicle problems.

Installation was a breeze. Seriously, I thought it was going to be a pain in the butt, but they fit like a charm with a little modification. In the pictures below, all that was needed was to reduce the diameter of the bezel by ~3/16". I just used a sanding disk on my angle grinder. They drop right in. After pondering how to mount them to the old guage pod, I decided to use some black RTV to hold them in place. The slight flange on the bezel will keep the RTV from oozing out to the front of the gauge.

Now, I just need to make a mount for the back of the gauge to bolt to the mounting points inside the dash.

DDGI_1.jpg

DDGI_2.jpg

DDGI_3.jpg

DDGI_4.jpg

DDGI_5.jpg

I also have EGT and boost/vac gauges to install in the middle of the dash. Those look like they are going to be a pain to mount. I'll update this thread when I get those figured out.

Guest 280ZForce

you'll love the digital gauges...I went with all VEI gauges though. Speedo, Tach, Indicators, Oil Press, Water Temp, Fuel Level, Volts and Boost. Then I have a AEM Wideband Gauge setup that is digital to match. I'll post pics up when I got them all in.

Please share once u got yours all wired up and working.

I was just looking at those guages for my Z...they are just a little expensive though.

and eat those bananas before they go bad...

They aren't all that expensive considering the features they come with.

The bannana's are going in the lunchbox today, they're perfect when they're brown on the outside and sweet on the inside. :D

You have me considering these instead of the Stewart Warner set I'd planned on.

Compared to the S-W's $660 is a bargain. I was looking at about $800 for five gauges and sending units (as needed). Then I still needed to install turn signal indicators, high beam indicator, and parking break indicator.

With the Dakota digital set you get six gauges and all the sending units and I don't have to change my fuel level sender. And the indicator lights are already installed.

Plus: That leaves the small gauge holes open for fuel pressure, clock, AFR, etc.

Minus: That leaves the small gauge holes open for fuel pressure, clock, AFR, etc. (more money to spend!)

Keep us posted Mat. I'm very interested.

They do stuff per order. Ask them to give you everything without bezels. My buddy did that with his GN powered '64 Buick Special and installed them behind a 1/4" brushed aluminum plate that he had CNC'd to fit in his dash. Looks very trick.

I thought I would like the chrome bezels that I got, but decided against it. Lightly sanded the bezels down this afternoon and applied some flat black paint. It looks a lot better. When the paint dries, the whole assembly gets fitted to the old gauge pods permanently. Then I move to fitting the smaller gauges! Oh, in case anyone is wondering, even though the gauge is fitted permanently, they can still be serviced. You just remove four 1/4" nuts on the back and viola! The guts are out.

EDIT: olderthanme, whoops... I just reread your question and yes, you can mount them individually from the front. The bezel has a flange on it. Cut a whole and drop it in. They clamp down on your mounting surface from the back.

Getting closer. Have both big gauges installed. Now to figure out how to mount the small ones.

EDIT: I should add that I removed the stock plastic lens inside the big gauges before I installed them for the last time. It looks much more clean this way.

DDGI_6.jpg

DDGI_7.jpg

Had some time to work on the small gauges.

- On the stock gauges, seperate the metal pod from the plastic face

- Gut the guage(s)

- Use a soldering iron to melt the plastic holding in the metal piece

- Remove plastic lens

DDGI_8.jpg

From here it looks pretty easy! It appears that I can just use my trusty Dremel tool to trim the metal to make the gauge fit. Just drop the guage in from the front, secure it with the bracket provided by Dakota Digital, attach the metal piece back onto the plastic face and screw the metal pod back on, then install back into the dash. Piece of cake :mrgreen: I'll take pictures this weekend.

DDGI_9.jpg

Finished the small gauges today. Was just as simple as I thought. Just slight modifications were necessary, nothing major. Dan, I say go for it if you were looking at digital gauges. Even with the metal pod screwed back on, there are plenty of holes to run your wiring. The pictures below are self-explanatory.

DDGI_10a.jpg

DDGI_11a.jpg

DDGI_12a.jpg

DDGI_13a.jpg

DDGI_14a.jpg

I'm picking up a semi-crack free dash today and will install everything into that dash instead. So after that, I need to find a heater core before I install the dash, so it may be a while before I update this with the dash installed and the gauges on. Should look pretty good, I can't wait!

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...