HybridZ

Well I guess I'm joining the Minority (KA swap)

AK-Z

I got the KA24DE and auto tranny from Stony yesturday. It looks like the oil pan would have to be replaced with a rear sump to clear the cross member.

Does anyone know of there being a rear sump on a KA? Or any suggestionson the swap. I know its not the same as a SR but I woul like the insight on both KA and SR issues you guys ran into.

Not 100% sure, but you might check out the truck oil pan. That is a total shot in the dark from me, but its the only other RWD vehicle that came with a KA.
GOOD IDEA. There are a bunch of pathfinders up here. Might be able to snag a oil pan and oil pickup. (BTW pathfinders also came with the KA but those blocks were produced in Mexico and Malasia(sp), the ones from teh 240sx came from japan. Just some useles knowlegde for ya)

What are your plans with this setup?

Do you plan to turbocharge the motor? If thats the case, then it should be pretty sweet when you get it running.

In my experience, I don't like the feel of the auto tranny on the KA or SR. (drive several of each) But I like driving a stick.... so its a personal preference thing with me.

What are you going to do for engine management? Wire in the stock harness/ecu, or go standalone?

Biggest hurtles I saw with the swap was going from carbs to fuel injected, obviously the engine mounting, and the engine management/electrical wiring.

I was lucky enough to be pulling my working Tec3 system from my previous chassis and hook it up in this chassis... solving one big problem quickly.

Vildini fabricates nice quality mounts for the SR... don't know if anyone has fitted a KA with their setup yet... but thats a great option. The KA fits on the same mounting points as the SR in the S13/S14 chassis. They may sell you the mounts outright, I don't know. (you being in Alaska) The great thing about their mounting setup is the location of the motor. Mine sits back against the firewall, all of it behind the front axle.

post-2-1146194610.jpg

Vildini just completed my swap yesterday. They did all the dirty work for me.

Nice. Well this is what I want ot do. I have two 280z's, ones is a parts car.

For the swap, I was thinking on keeping everything stock on the motor for now on the engine and run the car like that for a while. There is no ecu to speak of, so I'm looking for a ECU from a automatic (no speed limiter, and fairly easy to find) but I also need the pig tail from it (harder to find).

I know I should go MSnS but then I won't be able to get it IM'ed. I was thinking of modding the stock ECU with a bikirom daughter board later on, then turbo the sucker.

As far as tranny, the one that is on there is an auto and it shifts kinda hard. I wouldn't want to use anyways. I can't seem to find a KA manual tranny up here, so I was thinking on adapting the 5 speed from my L28. I know the tranny is weaker than the KA tranny but for now it should be good enough.

Well, solved that problem pretty quickly. Heh heh

Going from the L to the KA stock won't be break-neck fast, but it should run smooth and efficiently compared to a carbed setup. (assuming yours is carbed)

It's not a bad idea to get the motor well figured out and tuned right NA... and then move on to turbo when money and time allow.

Yeah I know. Torque isn't really what I'm after. This will be more of an autox/rally car than a drag car. The weight saved is a big plus though.

Sorry Kennysgreen280zt I already ordered a MSnS kit. I figured I would be going distributorless sooner or later anyways. And as far as IM is concerned, I called the state IM ref and he said I wouldn't need to run an IM test if I only use it in the summer (summer time only pass), whiich I would only have to dyno at one of there facilities.

Edit: I might be still interested in the ECU and pig tail if its cheap enough. The site I ordered it MSnS from is backordered so I can still cancel.

• 1 month later...

AK-Z, have you cleared up the pan issue yet? I will probably end up putting in a KA24det for now, until I can afford an ls1 or something stupd fast. At any rate, just wondering how far along you are now and if you figured out something for the oil pan.

Thanks,

James

Wow, swapping in a KA24DET now will not get you on your way to another engine any faster. You'd be better off just going for the gusto on that one.

You will spend so much money on the engine swap and getting everything running, and then add what it costs to turbo the KA and the reality of possibly blowing a naturally aspirated motor with a turbo kit and rebuild/replacement costs...

Sorry for the run-ons, but what I'm trying to say is this:

Pick a project and stick with it. Unless you have unlimited funds, do what you want right the first time.

Guest 1jz240z

If swapping a KA in a s30 or s31 you definetly need to use a rear sump pan from a nissan truck. We have one here at the shop from a 91 Frontier/Hardbodyand its fit perfectly into my 73 240z.

MA-MOTORSPORTS.COM

If swapping a KA in a s30 or s31 you definetly need to use a rear sump pan from a nissan truck. We have one here at the shop from a 91 Frontier/Hardbodyand its fit perfectly into my 73 240z.

MA-MOTORSPORTS.COM

S31? do you mean s130? well anyways, th KA is considered to be a stronger block than the SR block, BUT throwing a turbo on there without lowering compression is going to just cause a whole lot of problems, even if you tune the fuel system right. Me personally, I would stick with the L28 since its easier to turbo and have plenty of OEM turbo parts. But if I had a spare KA around I would think I would do the same thing.

Sorry for the confusion, my fingers were happy when I was typing. The KA I have is the NA dohc. And the L28 that's in the car has a blow head gasket... doh. So, I was just going to put the KA in for the time being to save some headaches, plus my l28 is an auto which I can't tolerate. So, I will most likely do this swap until I get the funds for something more fun. I'm just tired of seeing the Z sitting out front not moving for months. Thanks for the help you guys are a wealth of good information.

Not sure about the States, but Japan has S30's and S31's. Same body style. I think the S31 started with the L20 EFI model... S130 followed the S31.

S30 and S130 are chassis designations not packaged options. And as stated before he ment s130 (280zx). I would like to see an example of s31. Don't think they made a car with that chassis designation.