HybridZ

Ignition Key switch Stuck * options *

I put my key in the ignition switch and turned the key to start the engine and i didnt realoze it until the key got stuck that it was a little harder than normal to turn the key. I also felt some unusual binding inside the switch.

anyway, my key is now stuck on the "on " position. It wont turn left or right even with a bit of shimming around.

So my guess is that I just need a new ign. key switch. However i was wondering if anyone knows of any aftermarket keyswitch mod that has better security than the stock 240Z switch.

possibly those kind of keys motorcycles use (dont know what theyre called, the short, flat ones).

sugestions?

I've accidentally put my '74 key in my '77 and had the same problem. I used visegrips to get it out. While I was clamping the visegrips down I was also turning the key ever so gently. As the visegrips clamped down(making that click noise) it rattled the tomblers in the switch and allowed the key to turn. Once you have the key out you can take it to a keysmith and get another key made that isn't worn out.

As for another switch, I don't have a clue...

I was thinking about a proximity detection device where the car can start only when the owner is in the car kind of a passkey system but you could embed the chip in piec of jewellery or other. Then you only need an push to start. You could even go one step further and have the system unlock the dors when you get near.

Start button with keypad activation?

I'm also interested in other key switches that people have used.

Mario

I was thinking more of voice activation, kinda like Kit from knight rider, lol

well I took of my ignition switch, key is still stuck. I guess its junk, and i'll be starting my car with a screwdriver........:(

• 3 months later...

lol talk about security.. i have 2 keys for my z, one that opens the passenger door and the hatch and another to open the drivers door and operate the ignition, which can be quite the pain as usually at night ive found myself more than once having to persuade the wrong key out of the ignition!