HybridZ

Pick-up line

Zerrari GTO

I am using a 1990 RX7 fuel tank on my Z so that I can run a Ferrari style dual exhaust (comes with dual heat sheilds for the mufflers). I've made all the mounts, straps, etc. for the tank and have fabbed a custom mount for my 280Z fuel sending unit. This sending unit mount also incorporates the fuel pick-up line.

I've got a 3/8" elbow coming out of the tank and now need to make the internal pick-up line in the tank. Can I use regular rubber fuel line for this or should I use metal? Is there any problem with using brass fittings inside of the tank?

Thanks for any help.

Pick up lines? Hey baby... whats your sign? Heh heh

Hard line would be nice, as it would put it in place and it would stay put.

Brass fittings are fine for passing fuel through the inside of them, I don't see any reason why you couldn't put fuel on the outside of them.

Does anybody have suggestions on an end for the internal fuel pick-up line in the gas tank? I would like to have some type of screened end fitting to block any large debris from getting sucked into the tube.

It was mentioned to me that you could use one of those filter socks (made of fine mesh fabric material and are often used over the pick-up line of airless paint sprayers).

Because these are made of such a fine material I am concerned that the sock itself could be drawn into the tube. I'm not so sure how durable one of these would be either.

Thanks.

If your pickup is a 3/8" tube, it would take a pretty large piece of debris to plug it. I would say to leave it an open end, just like Datsun did, but be sure you have a filter between the tank and the fuel pump. Also, position the end of the pickup tube so it is very near the lowest point....its always a bummer to run out of fuel when you know there is still a few gallons in the tank. However, if you are concered about debris in the tank getting sucked into the pickup tube....raise it up a bit.