HybridZ

I'm trapped in a Laurel and Hardy Movie. (long)

Have you ever seen an old movie where someone turns on the water in the sink and it squirts out of the stove burners? Here's the story: A while back I pulled the dash out of my Z31 and installed combonation guages from an early Z. installed the new speedo and tach, reinstalled th dash and everything worked great. the only problem was that the combo guages had an amp meter instead of a volt meter. I scored the correct guage (280Z) and ripped the dash out again. I wired it all up and put it all back together. However, now there is no power to the ignition switch, when the headlight switch is turned on the panel lights come on but none of the outside lights. The turn signals don't work, but if the 4 way flashers are turned on the parking lights come on and the left flashers work. While this is happening the right turn signal indicator in the dash starts to blink. The switch that is supposed to open and close the headlights starts the fan and water pump, but the headlight doors don't even twitch. Oh yeah, the fan is running backwards blowing air out the grill of the car. Here is what I did: First I reached into the back and shut off the power at the battery. Next I shut off the lights in the garage and locked the doors. I went into the house and discovered that there wasn't any beer in the fridge. Finally I made a decision that I will no longer work on the car when I'm tired. I don't need any advice, I know that I have to pull the dash again and straighten out the wiring.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Guest 280ZForce

on my friend's 240z...he used to pull the ebrake and the windshield wipers would come on! hahahaha...that was funny ****.

on my friend's 240z...he used to pull the ebrake and the windshield wipers would come on! hahahaha...that was funny ****.

LOL

when i click my map light on in my 280zx my door ajar light comes on and the emergencly flashers start up.. great conversation peice ... not.

There is a major difference in the wiring of an ammeter and a voltage meter.

The ammeter was wired inline, meaning it broke the circuit of the power wire headed into the car.

The voltmeter just taps into the continuous line and reads voltage off the line referenced to ground.

So, on the ammeter, both connections go to the split main power.

On a voltmeter, one goes to the power which is not split, the other goes to ground.

Don't know if this helps, just taking a shot.