HybridZ

Weird smoking problem, turbo 280z...

Guest j-mcguigan.com

Guest j-mcguigan.com

Car blows a blue/ white cloud when first started while cold. Right after start up it can be reved or idle and wont smoke at all. Then about as soon as the turbo exhaust housing can no longer be touched without burning my hand it starts smoking a little, the warmer and warmer it gets the more it smokes until its a constant fog of blue/ white smoke.

Compression on the all cylinders is about 170. THe plugs are very normal brownish grey color, no oil on the plugs.

Is this my turbo leaking into my exhuast housing and burning???

Thanks

Jason

hows the PCV setup??

too high of crankcase pressure results in the oil being unable to drain out of the turbo..

this oil backs up.. out of the oil seal and burns in the exhuast...

the warmer the exhuast gets, the more smoke... because of the oil burning

downshifting and decelrating will smoke as well...

Take the exhuast piping off of the downpipe and just watch for oil dripping from it. I'd bet that your bearings are bad and are allowing oil to go past into the exhaust, but Prox's crankcase scenario would be something to check first. Just take the hoses off of the crankcase vents and run it a while. If it's still smoking steadily after it's been warmed up for several minutes, then you probably have a bearing issue on your hands.

PS. An overly high oil level in the oil pan could also back up the oil return from the turbo, resulting in the same symptoms.

Guest j-mcguigan.com

I guess i should have added that im running a oil catch can. I have a k&n breather on the valve cover. The original pcv hole on the intake is pluged becuase the it would fit the turbo. The balance tube from the block is connected to the catch can on the inlet, then the outlet on the catch can goes to the intake tube before the turbo in order to put a vac. on the system. The catch can is not clog nor is the lines going to or from it, and i cleaned the k&n filter on the valve cover, no change. The crankcase and valve cover are beign vented plenty. DOes this mean bad turbo!?!

THanks

Jason