HybridZ

300ZX parts swapped into REAR?

While talking to the MSA guy on the phne he mnentioned someone he knew who was swapping in 300ZX stubs in the REAR. Anyone thought about this? Would it buy you anything over just drilling out to 5lug? Bigger rear brakes maybe? What about swapping over any of the rest of the suspension back there? It sounded as if this guy was building a crossmember and everything. Perhaps to get the later diff in place back there he did this? He didn't say what year 300ZX so I'm not sure on the last part. Looking at the drawings in the catalog the later suspensions look MUCH different (and heavier) but that 4series LSD sure looks purty smile.gif

the 300 stubs are the same length but a difficult upgrade. both the bearing carriers are a different size and in order to do this you would need to machine up bearing sleeves and adapters to use the 300 stub axle. i have 3 of them here and tried avery combination but to do it looks like it would cost a LOT. theres a guy local here who has installed all 300 suspension in the rear but he narrowed the track as well. this is a heavy mod and not something to do easily.

------------------

Mike

mike@fonebooth.com

http://www.fonebooth.com/brakes.html

raceparts and brake upgrades.

Jim Biondo looked into this as well and decided it wasn't worth it. His solution was to take C3 Vette stub axles (actually billet ones available from some specialty house) and have bushings made to go between the uter race of the C3 bearings and the 260Z (240 and 280 have the same dimension here) hub housing. He made them a bit longer and had a step machined into them to locate the bearings laterally. He was going to use a C3 Vette companion flange. but had a custom set made up to adapt to the 280ZX Turbo CV shafts. Not sure what was up with the seal, but I think he found an available seal that worked.

The billet C3 stubs he got were drilled for the 5x4.5 Ford/Nissan bolt circle, to go with the 5x4.5 300ZX 5 lug hubs he used up front.

He went with an available SSR Integral wheel made for a Mustang I believe.

I helped fund this entire project by buying his wheels, tires, front hubs, rear stub axles, 280Z to 280ZX Turbo companion flanges, AZ Z car brakes, etc. wink.gif Glad I could help him with that rolleyes.gif!

So, there are alternatives, but not very inexpensive ones, except for scca-Mike's 5 lug conversion.

jims way would sound like similar to what you would have to do to use the 300 stub axle. but making the bearing sleeve/adapter would be $$, unless you do it all yourself.

if there were 4-5 people wanting bolt in stub axles it may be done at a acceptable price. the setup to make the first set is so $$ that drilling was ok for me. although i would rather have a real rear 5 lug stub than a drilled one..

------------------

Mike

mike@fonebooth.com

http://www.fonebooth.com/brakes.html

raceparts and brake upgrades.