HybridZ

RB20DET suitable final ratio?

Guest mbentsen

Guest mbentsen

I have nearly finished my Skyline R32 RB20DET- with gearbox -conversion into my 240Z. This car is intended as a daily driver (street) and I am unsure of the differential I have for it is suitable. The final ratio is 4.4:1 (open wheeler) and I am worried about it being too high for street use. my Wheel height is 24.8". Any experience feed back with this particular engine and gearing for street use, would be much appreciated. Michael

I have been doing some looking into getting this engine for my 260z and wondered across this website,

www.streetcommodores.com.au

type in RB20DET and alot of info comes up,

It seems alot of folks have put these engine's in Holden Commodores in AUS, replacing the RB30 engine, lots of people seem to really dislike them aswell :-), but there is some really good constructive info on this site,

There seems to be the opinion that with stock Holden diff gears of 3.45 this engine really sucks!!!

Because off boost it has nothing, you want it to get to 3000-3500 as quickly as possible, the taller the gears the better,

R32's apparently came out with 4.11 gears, and everyone on that site seems to be of the opinion that if you want to enjoy this engine in your car make sure you get rid of the stock 3.45 Holden diff and put in 3.9 or 4.11 gears,

From what i have read, i would stick with the diff gears you have,

This engine apparently loves to rev and off boost it really really blows!!!

Some minor points:

A 240Z is significantly lighter than a VL.

A diff with a bigger number is termed `shorter' because for a given rotation of the input flange the distance travelled is well.. shorter. (Yes I know that definition doesn't work for taller, so sue me.)

Dave

Those guys on Streetcommodores seem to think VL's weigh in at 1200kg's,

thats not a whole lot heavier than an 240z - certainly a 260z,

arent they around the 1050-1150KG mark,

To be honest though, i dont really believe a VL Commodore weighs 1200kg's................

Guest Zpeed

a 4.4 will be lots of fun, its a 2ltr 6 off boost it sucks, on boost they go, and shorter rear is the goer, if its to high revs on the freeways for you, id hate to see the car go lower than a 4.11,

oh and a stock vl exec5spd turbo, do come in at around the 1331mark, with calais topping the 1550 mark with auto and turbo

we are running a 4.375:1 in our sr20 powered z with the s13 5psd tranny and its awesome, even with the new gt3076r turbo you get on it at about 3200rpm just mash it to the floor and it feels almost like an NA car, instant response

on the other hand, i have an RB20DET in my 280ZX using the RB gearbox, and i still have the standard 280ZX 3.7:1 open wheeler diff.

i have found it to be quite a good ratio, i can make 68mph in 2nd, and it does not take long. It is almost never off boost with the standard turbo, i am making around 235rwhp now, and i still pull out of a slow corner in 3rd quite easily.

i rekon a 3.9 would be perfect for it, but i am going to keep my 3.7

Guest mbentsen

Thanks guys,

"The R32 GTS-T Type M came with a 4.36 final gear.

4.4 is perfect for an RB20. It will be just like stock. (minus 1000 pounds)"

Good point! The wheels are bigger on a Skyline though. Tyres are size 205/55x16 while mine are 205/55x15.

However, based on your comments, I will install the 4,4:1 diff and see where that takes me.... Hopefully forward and fast!

If somebody out there is running the same combination (240Z/RB20DET) I would still love to hear your comments.

Michael