HybridZ

LS2 exhaust manifolds on Z?

Anyone know if the redesigned LS2 exhaust manifolds can be made to work in a Z?

Saw a hot rod mag that shows the LS2 manifolds have been redesigned. They look like a shortened center dump version of the LS2 Vette manifolds.

I can't see the other side of this motor, but the output flange angle doesn't look too much different than the JTR LS1 header.

17802134.gif

I dont know. It doesnt look like that pass side manifold tucks in quite as tite as my JTR headers. Also like you said, you cant see the drivers side but it would have to dump further back than the pass side to clear the steering.

It MIGHT work but it would be tight.

Guest zeeman1972

I picked up a pair of LS2 manifolds and some other bits from a guy who imported a LS2 crate motor, to try on my Z. Anyhow pictures as they say are worth a thousand words.........

LS2Manifolds.jpg

DSCF0268.jpg

DSCF0264.jpg

I would add that I can't remember too much about what hit where and whether the manifolds where up as tight to the block as they should be, as I took these shots six months ago and really only for my reference. I do know I took away from it that they would be a complete PITA to fit and have since got the JTR headers! However, if anyone would like some better shots I would be more than happy to oblige.

Steve

I just got the crate motor pic from the Pace auto web site. I was actually hoping to use the JCI kit to mount it.

From zeeman's post, it looks like the pipes may dump out in a good spot fore and aft, bu looks like they will dump right into the frame rails. Kind of hard to tell how far above the rails the exits are.

The manifolds look like they have some nice thick head flanges on them. Wonder if they could be angle milled to gain clearance?

thanks for the posts guys.

Guest zeeman1972

I have had another scan through my photos and found these two showing the JCI mounts installed but with no engine installed (for ease of reference to what sits below) and a sideways view of the LS2 manifold to frame rail drivers side, also is a shot of the JTR headers which are significantly different on the drivers side, I would have throught that this was due to the steering shaft AND JCI mount.

As I said above, if you would like some better shots of the LS2's in the bay please just ask, I'll dig them out and sling them in with some better lighting.

Due to the massive assistance I have gained from the info on this forum, making my project possible, anything I can do to help would be a pleasure.

DSCF0270.jpg

DSCF0216.jpg

DSCF0871.jpg

Well you have sure helped me out.

Looks like the driver's side needs to come out farther back like the JTR headers do or they will interfere with the steering shaft, and in this case the JCI mounts.

that is a pretty good pick of the JCI mounts too.

Thought I could save 5 bills on the headers.