HybridZ

Down 'n Dirty COP for L28

Brad-ManQ45

I've been thinking - and before I go any further - yeah, that's dangerous!

I will be putting 12 magnets on my L28ET dampner in order to have my crank sensor, of course using a Hall sensor.

My thought was, it appears as though I could use the stock dizzy as the cam sensor, since it has a single hole for locating #1 (as compared to 2 holes in the wheel that the people who use the 300ZXT mass air conversion have to swap from a 300ZXT.

This would eliminate the need for opening up the vvalve cover and modifying the cam gear in order to provide a once every 720 degree signal.

Since the actual timing is coming off of the crank, the small amount of slop in the dizzy shouldn't make much of a difference.

Am I thinking correctly?

brad-i gave sss510 a cam position sensor from a 05 v6 mustang-its mounted in the base of a 81zxt dizzy and functions as #1 cylinder sensor for his aem unit.about cop units -there are a few different units out there.i have 8 ford units-they need power transistors to fire them-they are basic 2 wire coils.i have seen some cop units from a late model bmw.the have the power transistor built into them and use 4 or 5 wires to control them.probably could be fired directly with new ms system.you should only need 3 magnets on the crank with 1 #1 cid sensor.i used a cherry prefab hall effect sensor to fire my ms from the flywheel.after learning how to wire it i noticed you could mount 1 in the valve cover with a magnet on the cam gear.if you really want to be cheesy you could fire 1&6,5&2,3&4 by wireing the primary wire on the cop units together and run wasted spark.but i heard there might be coil charge time problems.the hotest coils are on a merc 2.5efi outboard motor.since these are 2 stroke the coils have to fire every revolution-and fire at 9000 rpm with surface gap spark plugs.

Thanks for the reply Randy:

I was thinking about possibly using some motorcycle coils, since those are designed for twice the RPM.

In my reading on the MS cite, I was basing my # of magnets on what was described as the minimum for a 6 cyl engine, which would be a 6-1 wheel, then doubling the magnets, which in the future could possibly give greater resolution through code changes.

Of course, I was only thinking wasted spark at the time, not COP.

Whenever I do rebuild the engine, I will modify the cam gear, but for right now, the dizzy looks to be the best bet if I want COP. THe only part I don't like about it is keeping the dizzy!

I don't want to use the 36-1 gear on the front of the pulleys, so the magnets mounted on the back of the dampner ala SDS seems extremely doable (I have a friend who SDS'd his '82 ZXT) so I'm working in a known environment with that mod.