HybridZ

Should I buy?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm looking at a 1972 240Z with a 355ci engine with a competition cam and a team G intake. The car is in great shape with four wheel disc brakes, a 92 300ZX rear end and coil-overs in the front. The specs on the cam: duration @.050, intake = 276, exhaust = 286. The car is characterized as "street pro" and needless to say, idles very rough, but the car is very fast and powerful. The Muncie 4-speed needs a re-build. It is a Scarab conversion. He might take $7500, wants $8500.

My question is: The car with this cam has a borderline driveability factor; I want to drive this car as a fair weather commuter car on rural roads. Is this engine over-built for what I want?

Thanks.

Ambrose

Ambrose, the engine has way too much cam IMO for "street" use. It is actually made for racing--either pro-street or drag. If you pop in a more streetable cam with less duration, say about 222 degrees @.050 inches.

The price is a little steep for my taste, BUT it depends on what YOU want. The car may be beautiful and worth the money. To change it to JTR spec is not difficult or pricey, but who knows about the tranny? Just food for thought and my $.02 smile.gif

David

Guest Anonymous

Ditto, @.050 225 degrees max for the street otherwise your low end power will be really weak. (this isn't a hard and fast rule larger displacements can handle a bit more)

Depends one what your going to do with it, race it alot, sure sounds killer, but it won't be a enjoyable street experience with that cam. On the other hand, could always swap a milder cam in.

Regards,

Lone

$5,000 sounds about right for a V8Z in reasonable condition. Remember, the tranny needs work, but a cam & lifters can easily be had for under $100-$200 (easy to install yourself too). Perhaps if you wave $5000 or so under his nose, he'll sit up and take notice.

All the best,

David

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for all the replies. I drove the car and it is very fast but street drivability is the issue. The owner claims 11 to 1 compression and several friends have indicated he has built the engine up and it may not run right if I just put in a milder cam. With the issues of " detuning" the engine, remounting the engine JTR fashion and rebuilding the tranny it is overpriced. The body and underside is in great shape. I'll watch how fast he sells it and maybe offer him less. In the meantime anyone know of any Z V8 conversions for sale?

That cam is way too big; just to reiterate everyone else's thoughts. Usually when someone gives you their @ .050 duration figures...you can tach on another .050 to .065 thousanths of an inch to determine advertised duration.

For streetability; you dont want anything more than a 280 advertised duration...& that's pushing the borderline.

Regarding "Detuning"; just changing the cam might not cure things. Remember; its a total package that makes the car run right. If he has spent a lot of money to get the cyl.heads, intake & carb to flow w/the cam; you may have to detune the heads, intake & carb...possibly an expensive endevor.

But, I agree; the 4spd trans is bad-use that as a leverage in haggling & wave $5000 under his nose...eh, wave $4500 under his nose as you can always go up-but you cant go down.

Never know what you'll get when you wave hard cash in front of someone's face. If he doesnt bite on $4500; give him a week; wave the $4500 again; if he wavers then offer him $4700 as a final offer. If the car is still there next week....offer the $4700 again; ect, ect.

If its a nice car & the rust is minimal or non-existent...that alone is worth a little extra.

Kevin

Yes, 11:1 compression ratio would not be good for the street, period. You need octane boost just to drive the car, and that's after filling up with premium fuel! Just going to a milder cam won't do it in this case. I agree with Kevin on waving less then $5000 under his nose first, since you can always go up, but not down. This car sounds good, but it really is suited more to racing at the track than for driving on the street. However, all can be remedied...