HybridZ

280ZXT axles binding

Just Jim

In preparation for the Ford V8 swap in my 240 Z ,I just swapped in a R200 with 280ZXT axles. Both sides bind when the suspension is fully extended but with the axles at ride height the drivers side is smooth but the passenger side seems to bind a little. The drivers side axle is supposed to be about a half inch shorter than the passenger side. If I swap the differential end of the passenger side axle onto a shorter drivers side axle assembly will this fix the binding? I know MM sells adapters for this but I'd rather not go that route. Is there a "cage" that can be reversed in the CV joint to effectively shorten the 280ZXT axle?I did a search on this and came up empty.

If you need to swap the ends you might not have one of each side. The drivers side should be shorter than the passenger side. Double check your axles. Are you using MM sports adapters? I used the MM sports adapters and the 280ZXT axles and I have no binding problems at all not even with the suspension completly extended.

The axles and companion flanges came from a 280zxt at Pic A Part. I'm not using MM adapters. I'm just trying to verify that the drivers side axle is really shorter than the passenger side. If so, all I need is another drivers side axle with my passenger side splined part that goes into the R200.