HybridZ

Can anyone tell me what this is??

Guest mikedick6969

Guest mikedick6969

Just as the title says. I got my gas tank off, and this is on a bracket above the fuel pump. Im lookin for blockage in my fuel system. I have only 10psi. Is this an essential part of my fuel system, or can I bypass this? I just steamed out the gas tank, and this looks to be easier dealt with with the tank off. Could this be a factor in my plugged fuel system? Thanks!

Whatchamacallit_thumb.JPG

Guest mikedick6969

Sorry. Only camera I had on hand was my phone. Thank god it has a USB port on it to offload pics. So a strainer, eh? I woulda guessed it was a regulator of some sort.

Guest mikedick6969

Just got ahold of an old Haynes. Apparently thats a fuel filter??!!?? What a dumb place for one of those. I wouldnt have ever seen that if I hadnt pulled the gas tank. Anyone confirm thats what that is??

Guest mikedick6969

So I take it thats a necessary piece of equipment. Not something I wanna bypass? Could those get plugged up/anyone had one fail?

Guest mikedick6969

Alright. Ill check if its a problem before the tank goes on. The tank turned up rust free inside. The outside is in good shape also. Still has the undercoating on it. Ill try it all out Saturday morning, and hopefully have a running Z this time around. Thanks alot nienberg.11. You been a great help!

Guest mikedick6969

Ive already Replaced all filters, blew compressed air back into the system up to before the fuel pump, steam cleaned the gas tank inside and out, it has new fuel injectors even, and I have another fuel pump just in case. Also we installed an under the hood fuel pressure gauge. Im ready to get this puppy runnin for the summer.

Guest mikedick6969

Well, got it all together. Didnt work still. We removed the damper. It still wouldnt run. So we bypassed the whole positive side of the wiring, hooking up the fuel pump to the positive on the battery, and it ran! So would the fuel relay be the culprit here? Or is the oil pressure switch part of that circuit that I would wanna eliminate too? Where are these items located on the car? and does anyone have a link to wiring schematics for a 75 280Z? Thanks a bunch guys!

Save yourself a lot of headaches and install a new fuel pump relay that's referenced to the fuel gauge power. That way, any time the key is in the "on" position the pump is running. That's how I have mine set up. I'm sure there are a couple of other things to reference the relay from.

Guest mikedick6969

And left your old relay intact? Which type of relay from radio shack did you go with? Sorry, this type of stuff is out of my normal range of stuff Iusually do to cars. Thanks for being patient!

I used a 30A automotive relay and taped off the live from the old relay. If you find the original relay and change its signal over to the fuel gauge that would work fine.

The reasoning behind what I did is kind of complicated, but during my turbo swap a buddy of mine was wiring up my new pump and we had it installed in the engine bay for the sake of accessability, and at some point he decided to use his own relay. Btw, that was a bad idea as I later learned. The distance from the tank led to insufficient fuel pressure later on and now I have the new pump moved back to the stock location.

Guest mikedick6969

Alright thanks dude. Using search I found that the relay is located under the dash above the hood release cable. My cousin says he has several 30A relays at his garage, and wants me to bring over the wiring schematics I found. He says he'll wire up the new relay off the fuel guage, and re-locate it. Probably wont happen til mid-week at least, so ill have to wait again. We did put in a different pump yesterday. A higher pressure Mazda pump. And it ended up in the stock location still. So were good there. Thanks again nienberg! You've been great! Ill update again as soon as I know something!