HybridZ

Capping Unused Vacuum and Heater fittings

Bartman

I have several unused vaccum and heater hose fittings on my engine that need to be blocked off. I've been using these rubber caps that I found at Pep Boys, but they only work for a short time before they start cracking and eventualy leaking. I had a cap on a water pump outlet that gave out a while back and anti-freeze start shooting out everywhere.

Does anyone have a better solution? I'm thinking that a small section of hose with some sort of metal plug might work better.

The water pump outlet that I want to block off has a small metal pipe that is press-fit into the aluminum water pump housing. I've read where people have popped out these metal tubes and threaded it to install a threaded plug or just put in a freeze plug without threading it (the opening is 3/4" diameter). I went to my local auto parts store and bought one of those rubber expansion plugs that I'm going to try and use to cap my water pump opening. I think it will work better than a cap and it will look nicer too.