HybridZ

maxima brackets build date??

Guest scca

And the SAGA continues.

This is why I just went for having them made. In the hours of time and never ending effort it was taking to find the bracket at a yard I could have payed for several machined brackets.

I have yet to hear back from the first machine shop about adapting the straight bracket. I feel I am being blown off by this company, even after my gift of donuts. I'm going to look into another fab shop Monday. This one is even closer to where I live. I'll post the cost of this rather easy fab job when I get the quote.

BTW, I tried to look at the '81 Maxima today. The one I didn't want to risk my life with. It was gone.

I have a Chiltons Datsun 200SX,510,610,710,810,Nissan Maxima:'79-'84 and I was looking in one of the charts and I think some of the '80-'83 200SX's had rear discs. I know for sure the '84 did, but maybe FWD. I'm going back to the yard and see if I can find some. Has anyone looked at these for the brackets?

I'M NO LONGER A JUNIOR MINT!

[This message has been edited by spotfitz (edited January 30, 2001).]

Mike and spotfitz,

I found this site a while back and it explains how to use the rear 200SX brakes in a 510. Mike, you might want to check this out for the bracket part and how to convert the brakes to disks.

http://www.510again.com/articles/4wheel/4disk.html

"The car parts that you need are all found on the '82-'83 200SX lift-back (solid axle car). The calipers are different on this car vs. the other years/styles of 200SX. The visual

giveaway is when viewing the calipers(where the brake line connects to the caliper), you do not want the one that screws into the caliper directly - you want the one that uses a banjo bolt."

Above was a small part from a detailed description of the conversion. I don't know if this helps in the quest for a bolt on bracket.

Danno74Z

Guest Anonymous

What's the caliper bolt spacing on that 200sx bracket? And will the bracket fit on an s30 strut?

I made some rough measurements(ie. stuck my finger inside my wheels) and I THINK the 87-89 rear brakes with the flat maxima bracket will clear my panasport. I hope they will at least!

------------------

Morgan

http://z31.com/~morgan/s30

http://carfiche.com

just from looking at the picture of the bracket installed on a 510 a-arm it does not appear tohave enough offset. it only comes back about 1/2"? we need more than that.

someone offered to send me one original for copying..

its either that or i will just make them from scratch..

i've wasted 3 hours in junkyard hunting - not alot but i have seen quite a few maximas and none had the correct bracket to date.

Mike

what i really want is a rear disk conversion that can be either 4 lug or 5. it would be nice if this bracket does both. i dont want to get into drilling rotors..

ideally it would be vented rotor.

the "unknown maxima" bracket does this already with both 4 lug and 5 lug.

maybe you'll find a oem rotor to work with the flat bracket..

each time you add one more Modification to the package it becomes less appealing. and makes custom packages a better deal.

its like the fronts- i can take a zx hub with a maxima rotor and not need a spacer but you have to redrill the rotor for a rear bolt pattern and hog out the hole. this is not much less work than making spacers to begin with..and everytime you replace a rotor you have the same mod to do..

also i really dont see the benefit of a single piston rear to get a vented rotor. if you going with a vented rotor you should use a 2 piston fixed caliper and then your back to the no ebrake situation..

and ifyou use the Z32 calipers on the rear then IMO the 4runner just looks out of place onthe fronts ,,then put the Z32 on the front as well....

Mike

ok now this ()*&*&^% car has the wrong bracket too! mad.gif

car #1.. 81 MAXIMA build date 2/81 bracket has the wrong offset and wrong bolt spacing for the 82 caliper rotor setup. these were a bolton bracket ..

car #2.. 82 maxima build date 3/82

these brackets are the correct bolt pattern for the calipers and use the same rotors as a 82 zx.. but the offset is wrong and they are welded on to the car anyway, even with cutting them off the offset is incorrect for the conversion.

so WHAT FU***ING CAR used that bracket originally?

anyone who has the 44s10... bracket know the build date issues for this piece??

Mike

Ruebens offered to "loan" me his bracket so once it arrives i will take it and have a cnc measurement done of it.

hopefully it will all work out..

man i was hoping to find a used set to have but no luck.. frown.gif

MOrgan--- get cracking! find a alternative before i make some of these up!

Mike

first i believe the jcr brackets are closer to $150 pr and

secondly they DONT FIT .. this application.

if you want to use the 81 style rear calipers then yes but not for what we're all talking about here...we're talking bout 82 caliper/rotor combo and 5 lug not the 79-81 disk brake conversion..

Mike

Honestly guys - I'd pay $150 if that's what it took to help defray tooling costs etc. I think the stock Maxima brackets from the dealer cost nearly that right? Welding is obviously FAR cheaper but it's much more permanent and I've got a feeling I could be changing brake setups like I do pairs of jeans. I've already got billet envy of Mike! (lol)

Guest Anonymous

Since my fuel pump is dead, I've been driving the 88, so it's convient to take some measurements from, which I will do by this weekend.

On that note..... an option for a mildly offset bracket would be to make a flat bracket thicker than needed and then just mill down the mounting faces to make an offset bracket. Cheaper than welding I would think, and no welds to worry about. Yes? No? Maybe?

------------------

Morgan

http://z31.com/~morgan/s30

http://carfiche.com

quote:

Originally posted by BLKMGK:

Honestly guys - I'd pay $150 if that's what it took to help defray tooling costs etc. I think the stock Maxima brackets from the dealer cost nearly that right? Welding is obviously FAR cheaper but it's much more permanent and I've got a feeling I could be changing brake setups like I do pairs of jeans. I've already got billet envy of Mike! (lol)

The Maxima brackets were selling for $54 per when I tried to get some($117 after gov.). I agree, $150 to get it together is reasonable considering what we are going through, but I probably won't be spending that much on the brackets as I'm using the straight ones and fabbing the "ears" for the offset. Besides the fact that I already have everything else for this conversion. And yes, billet envy is why I want bolt on also. I keep popping over to SCCA's site and looking around. I really shouldn't torture myself like that.

"It's only money, It's only money...."

The verdict is in.

About $70 per bracket to retrofit the flat for the offset, using the original ears. He will give me the jig for aligning the ears once they are cut off, incase I plan to do some more, which I doubt at this price. He's going to give me a closer cost on Monday, this is a rough estimate right now.

I was discussing having them made from scratch out of billet aluminum. This is still an option, but don't know the cost yet.

Looks like another weekend of fiddling with the Z with nothing to really fiddle with. I guess I'll be porting/polishing my E31.

I'm still up for buying if someone is selling.

SCCA, got anything going yet?