HybridZ

Anyone ever used a Monza header

Guest Carolina280Z

Guest Carolina280Z

Have one and wonder what the feeling is about them.

Here is the deal, have a 77 that has a crack in the stock exahuast manifold..I have a Monza header that a guy I knew at one time gave me..talked to a guy at a performance shop the other day who said why buy a new manifold when I already have the header..makes sence to me..but the question is has anyone used one of the Monza headers..

Im going to change the layout of the pipes as well under the car, dont want it exiting from the rear the way the factory exhaust currently does..any suggestions on the layout of the pipes as well as brand or type of muffler to go with.

Also , I was told by this same guy , the one doing the pipe work that the next thing to do after the header is put on would be to put the car on a dyno so set the fuel mixture..sounds good to me ...

Just want some opinions on all of this , we are gonna put the car on the rack Saturday to ck all of this out and come up with a pipe flow design as well as the mufflers..not gonna do the work until the following Saturday

Any help or suggestions will be needless to say greatly appreciated.

Carolina 280Z

As far as headers go the Monza is junk- mass market at a low price. Almost all of the performance increase you get over stock will be due to a bigger exhaust pipe, not the header. But, a free header is cheaper than a used stock manifold (unless it is also free). Better? More engine compartment heat, more noise, more likely to leak at the gasket, more likely to rust out, not likely to make any more than a horsepower or two over stock. Your call. Stick with a single exhaust in the stock location exiting out the back. I believe the Dynomax Super Turbo part number for a 2.5 diameter that will fit a Z is 17723 or 17223. Been awhile.

I currently don't have one, but I used to on my old civic. They are not the best but it did the trick. I never blew a gasket, had any rust problems or anything. There are certainly better manifolds out there but if you are on a budget or already have it I say go with it. I do know, however, it seems to have bigger runners and less restirction than any other manifold in the price range. Hope this helps.

IMO the real weakness of the Monza Z header is in the merging at the collectors. Look inside the collectors, and you'll see the fitter did a quick and rough job. Extra tubing inside the collectors make for some restriction you don't see from the outside.

Depending on your skill, time, and equipment, cutting the collector off then trimming off the excess tubing and rewelding it wouldn't be too hard. If it's all stock I wouldn't bother though.

Guest Carolina280Z

Ok , was at the performance shop thats gonna do the work this morning..damn this is gonna be more expensive than I thought, the main expense is getting the exhauts manifold off the engine, with the way its attached its gonna take allot of work or more than I originally thought..according to the shop , about 4 hours labor to get it off and then back on , if they dont break any studs in the process..does that sound anything close to the amt of time to you guys....

Guest Carolina280Z
That'd be about right for a shop that doesn't do it every day. You have to remove the intake also to replace the gasket. A Z person could do it in an hour.

When can you come over or I will come to you..Im in Columbia SC...lol:D

For some reason I had a feeling this was going to be more involved with these guys, they do alot of custom pipe work but like the guy told me , man your talkin a 77 280 Z , I gotta be careful and we dont do them on a daily basis..says what he is quoting is pretty close to book time for the labor.

unfortunately.. he's right.. =( most people at shops give a quote straight from a time estimate book on the car.. and while this is usually an hour maybe 2 job.. on a older z with someone unfamiliar with it.. its a pain.

when i first bought my z, it had a horrible exhaust leak so i took it to midas.

not only did they break a stud, but lost one of my heat shields (there are 2 not 1 as i found out) on the underside of the intake. This is one of the fewr eally big gripes i have with the disign of the car is the intake and exhaust sharing studs and bolts. i did it the next time on my own and now that ive done it once Katman is right.. only takes about an hour.

and the reason i did it again.. blown gasket on my Monza header ..

if its free and you dont mind the extra heat/noise and can fab up the rest of the exhasut.. sure why not.. but you might consider waiting until you can get a better built header. Or make sure the exhaust from the header back is the proper size that will fit up with the minumum effort to the next header you buy. =)