HybridZ

5-lug conversion

Guest Anonymous

Call me a wimp or too damn picky, but if I were to drill stubs for 5 lugs, I'd be down to the nearest reputable general machine shop that had a rotary table. Have them put in APR studs, and press off the outer bearing, shot peen and magnaflux them at the same time (I did have the last three done) and put on a new bearing.

Some things I just don't trust to my trusty drill motor and eagle eye.

Sorry to be such a malcontent.

Pete

Guest Anonymous

Yeah I agree. Eyeballing it and getting the studs off a bit would make for a ride like a one legged maytag on spin. I may attempt it myself in the future, but I do have a drill press and will get a rotary table before I do so (been wanting to buy one anyway, but those dogs ain't cheap). I may just try to locate a extra set of stubs though just so I don't hose myself if it doesn't work out. wink.gif Would be nice to have a better choice of rims the five lug conversion offers.

Lone

quote:

Originally posted by pparaska:

Call me a wimp or too damn picky

Pete

Pete, you're a wimp and too damn picky! smile.gif Mike's method makes it straightforward as others have said. Just because wheel balancing is sensitive doesn't mean we have to be on tippy toes drilling and welding hubs in the centre of your assembly where a lot of other weight is as well. I did some bad drilling on one of my hubs (not using Mike's method, trying to be even cheaper & doing it on the car in a tight garage yadda yadda;^) and just had it rewelded up and then I redrilled it, this time on a press (FWIW, stock hubs drill like butter compared to weld material!).

If I have the dough I'd have a shop do it, but don't let that stop you from trying it. Axles are cheap if not free if you've been in and out of parts for a while....I have a spare ZXT set I'm going to setup for ARP's while leaving my current set with bolt on's in place some day when I have a penny or two available (ie. once school's done)

PS good point about having bearings pressed off and on....did it myself but it took some jiggering....

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.