HybridZ

Nissan Half-shaft U-joints

fp280z

Picked up a new half-shaft u-joint from the Nissan dealer this morning and ordered three more. Thought I'd share a few observations about the ordeal and also I've got a question.

First off, I broke three out of the four u-joints at the Mineral Wells ProSolo last month. Sticky Hoosiers, 100 degree heat, and and uphill drag start all compounded in a bad way for my car. The Autozone in town had two Neapco and one Neapco Brute Force u-joint. We bought them all and replaced one Saturday at lunch after breaking that morning and one Saturday evening after breaking that afternoon. We broke the third on Sunday morning and rolled the car on the trailer. The new Autozone u-joints held together, the tired Spicers that were on the car were the ones that broke each time.

So, I started looking for replacements. I didn't want to have the same MW experience again so I decided against the $14.99 Neapco u-joints. I found the Spicer part number (5-1505X) and ordered four. I received four but the bearing caps were too small for the yoke jounals. I confirmed this by measuring the bearing cap and comparing to the one remaining Neapco unit that I had from MW. I will be returning these. Anyone seen this before?

Next, I got the Nissan part number from the website below:

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/ujoint/index.html

The 37125-21025 part number did not show up in the Nissan dealer's database. The number that did show up was 37126-VB925. I took the one they had in stock and tried it on one of my half-shafts and it appears to be correct. This u-joint is not solid but does not have any grease fittings. Anyone familiar with this part number?

Lastly, the 37126-VB925 came with several color coded retaining clips of varying thickness. Anyone know which I should use? Common sense tells me to use the thickest ones, just wondering why there are so many.

Thanks.

Rick Martinez

www.typeischeap.com

i beleive the genuine nissan unis are the strongest of all.........partly due to the absence of the grease nipple which degrades the structural integrity by providing a stress point

....but if you want to be sure fit the cv 1/2 shafts from the 280zxt....i am presuming you have the r200 diff

good luck

paul