HybridZ

trying to identify my cam (pics included)

OlderThanMe

The previous owner of my car specifically said that there was a new high performance cam in the engine...I just removed my valve cover and saw this:

w40105715.jpg

on the other side it says

"Japan" and "B"

"B" is inbetween the lobes of cyl #5

"Japan" and "E30" are on opposite sides between cylinders 4 and 5

this is the only thing I could find about a cam with this stamp is:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=108497&highlight=e30+cam

but that does not help much since that is on an L20 motor.

the head is an E88 with an E46 intake and roundtops.

Is this the stock cam, reground(possible), or off another model Z?

the cam does not feel that bad. Very little wear.

I was thinking it was one of the MSA cams and wanted to check if it was one of the cams that has lobes burn off but the lobes all seem fine. One of the lobes has the swipe go right to the edge of the lobe though. time to get a better cam. How would I measure the cam? I have seen the way of using some sort of micrometer but I don't have one. Maybe time to do a zxt swap...

The "C" stamp cam is a Nismo cam, It is listed as a "high performance cam". The Nissan part # is13001-N3626. The lift and duration is:.434"/256 degrees

I just checked the cam and it has the "C" on the back. The above quote states the "C" grind as a high performance cam...so is it stock or is it not?

The letters stamped on the back of Nissan cams mean nothing, other than A's are generally found in L24's and L28's and C's are sometimes found in L26's. Along with about every other letter of the alphabet. And there's about 12 variations on the "A" grind and C's were sometimes on late L24's. You have to "Cam Doctor" it to know for sure.

Anyhow, you have a stock Nissan cam...better steel than you are going to get from CFC. So if you are going to get a cam, have that one reground to your specs by Delta.

Markings to avoid are CWC, these include the MSA Schneider cams.

This crappier metal cores used cause these cams to sometimes go flat, but it seems to be luck of the draw.

I believe the 260z camshaft is the most aggressive of the stock cam shafts, but it still isn't that "big".

Mario

thanks guys. I may be able to get a regrind next summer if not this summer. I was also looking at the isky cams...

I have a question though. If you want more lift on a cam and you get it reground wouldn't that reduce the amount of lift? Or do they weld the lobes larger before machining? that is something I have been wondering.

Guest 73Turbo240z

olderthanme, i just watched your video... whats up with it always raining when your driving lol?

you've got way bigger kohona's than me, my Z stays right were it is the second water starts falling...

I don't know...even my video on the tail of the dragon it is raining...go figure. I do have that one video when it is not raining...plus I won't break traction when it rains...not fun getting sideways going around a turn at high speeds...

here is my one video when it is not raining...and my clutch was worn in...and when the car was not brocken down...

I just don't think it is possible for a stock spec cam to break away 225 width tires at 3500 rpms like at the stop sign...I wasn't even trying to break loose.

082511.jpg

Video Hosting - Upload Video - Video Sharing

They don't weld on more metal, there is enough metal on the cam to grind it to new specs (in most cases). You make up for the lost metal with the adjusters on the tappets. Isky uses CWC billits for their cores too so they are going to be softer than a Nissan "Japan" cam.

• 3 weeks later...
I have a question though. If you want more lift on a cam and you get it reground wouldn't that reduce the amount of lift? Or do they weld the lobes larger before machining? that is something I have been wondering.

They grind away the base circles and leave the height of the lobe the same. There is a picture of rebello's cams that has the base circles ground so much that they are flush with the "rough" part of the cam. I think Braap put it up here.

found it:

CAM.jpg

So did you ever look at the back of the cam to see if it was stock or not?

• Administrators

Yes, that is a .520” lift cam that we offer, ground by Rebello. That cam is for a Hybrid member, (Silent), and is going in custom N-47 that we are building for his radical stroker street Z. He has been talking about Nitrous as well…

I might be installing that same grind into our race car over the winter as well. It would make for a nice mild-moderate race cam.