HybridZ

trying to identify my cam (pics included)

OlderThanMe

Could be a regrind already.

Stock marking mean nothing after a regrind.

How tall is the back of the cam lobe off the cam shaft? A reduced height indicates a regrind.

The lift is the widest part of the lobe minus the narrowest part of the lobe times 1.5 then minus the 1.5 times the lash. You can measure this "expected cam lift" with a caliper.

What is the idle like?

What is the engine vacuum at 800 rpm?

What does the valve train sound like?

When does the engine quit making power?

If there is a doubt what cam you have, you should check the lift and duration before doing anything.

You will need a degree wheel and a dial indicator to make a cam profile measurement.

it idles a little rough. with the new ignition box it runs much better. here is a video with audio of how it sounds with the new ignition box.

It makes power up to 7000-7200. Su's and a header are about it.

It seems to want to spin higher but I don't think I should.

I just don't think it is possible for a stock spec cam to break away 225 width tires at 3500 rpms like at the stop sign...I wasn't even trying to break loose.

I don't know dude, the camo zzzap! will break loose the 255/50-17's shifting into second with what I'm assuming is all stock gear (just su's)...

A stock cam will not pull to 7200rpm and seem like it wants to do more. A stock cam will fall on its face at 5500 rpm.

The idle sounds a little lopey. But a header and a carb with a rich mixture could make it sound like that. Kind of hard to hear off a computer.

I have heard several people saying that about their Z and I know that even with a stock grind on a 260 that can't be possible. I'll try to get a driving vid showing the RPMs when I finish my wiring this week. I am done with the front half of my harness and the rear is coming up tonight. It is just really hot in my garage now.