HybridZ

Home-made engine/tranny mounts..how can I tell if the locati

Well Ive located a 240Z with a 350/th350 in it that is for sale WITHOUT the engine/tranny. Everything else goes tho inc. exhaust,radiator,fuel system etc. I havent seen the car yet but Im very excited about it. Since this guy fabricated his own mounts Id like to be able to tell if the engine position is close to JTR for the best tractin and cornering. The engine will stil be in the car when i see it. He says the distributer is only 1/2" from the fire wall..but ive yet to see it for myself. I dont want to buy a "mistake" because im so anxious to get my OWN Z-V8 smile.gif Please advise what to check for.

Jason

Guest Frank280z

1/2-3/4" sounds right. If the engine is till in the car. place a piece of wood across the strut towers. If they sit on the valve covers; then you're not exactly in the "jtr location". Fr. strut braces can clear w/ the jtr conv. Thats a start. Check for header clearance too. Make sure you can clear with the block huggers. If you know someone with a plastic display sbc; you would have a better idea for sure.

------------------

Build it. Drive it. Improve it. http://www.angelfire.com/extreme2/frankzpage/

Guest Anonymous

1/2 to 3/4" is about where the JTR mount ends up. Look for either no hoodlatch (maybe using hood pins), or some sort of modified hood latch to clear the distributer.

Look for some sort of setback in the engine mounts. JTR's are set back about 3 inches give or take. If you see a chevy motor mount bolted with maybe a thick spacer right to the Datsun motor mounting pad, then its not set back, if he used some sort of scheme that has a plate extending back to the chevy mounts, then its set back. Look at the front of the valve covers. They shouldn't protrude much past the strut towers, if they do and most of the first two cylinders are forward of the strut tower then its not set back. Hope it helps...

Lone

Even if the engine isn't as far back as you'd like - setting it up for JTR isn't too much work. Motor mounts, driveshaft, hood latch - not too bad. I WOULD suggest that you buy the JTR book though just to have a good desk refrence. Also, it's got a TH350 in it now - you'll probably want something with at least 4 speeds or maybe even a stick. That driveshaft coould end up being modified regardless...

Thanks guys,

After finding some pictures of the JTR motor-mounts I can see itll be obvious if its setback or not. I do know that he is using hoodpins, but I believe its because he has a highrise intake because theres a 1" gap at the back of the hood (cant shut all the way). we'll be finding out soon. I just hope its still there and this guy is serious about selling it. Wish me luck!

Guest Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Racin_Jason:

Thanks guys,

After finding some pictures of the JTR motor-mounts I can see itll be obvious if its setback or not. I do know that he is using hoodpins, but I believe its because he has a highrise intake because theres a 1" gap at the back of the hood (cant shut all the way). we'll be finding out soon. I just hope its still there and this guy is serious about selling it. Wish me luck!

Guest Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Racin_Jason:

Well Ive located a 240Z with a 350/th350 in it that is for sale WITHOUT the engine/tranny. Everything else goes tho inc. exhaust,radiator,fuel system etc. I havent seen the car yet but Im very excited about it. Since this guy fabricated his own mounts Id like to be able to tell if the engine position is close to JTR for the best tractin and cornering. The engine will stil be in the car when i see it. He says the distributer is only 1/2" from the fire wall..but ive yet to see it for myself. I dont want to buy a "mistake" because im so anxious to get my OWN Z-V8
smile.gif
Please advise what to check for.

Jason

Hi RJ

I am in San Diego with a 71 240 350 V-8 TPI 700-R4. Got parts and ideas. We should talk.

UncleEd