HybridZ

Not a Z, but I need help ASAP with the Dodge Caravan

Guest tony78_280z

Guest tony78_280z

'95 dodge caravan (3.0L) is down. Which is more stressful than when the Z is down. Harder to work on, and it's the wifes(family) vehicle.

It has a Blown headgasket, and I gotta fix it.

My problem is the Dampner bolt. (Yes I must remove the dampner and a motor mount to get to the heads. Why can't every motor be as easy to work on as the SBC) This damn dampner bolt is realy stuck! I even put the torch on it for a few minutes, and I already broke one socket and one adapter. Before I break any more tools on it, (or heaven forbit the dampner bolt its self,) I need to ask if maybe this bolt is backwards threaded to keep it from spinning out? Or does the factory commonly put lock tight on the bolt? Or what gives? My Haynes manual doesn't mention anything special about this bolt, but we all know how acurate the Haynes is.

I'm too scared to progress and strip out the crank threads.

It may be left threaded. Check to see which way the damper turns. The bolt will typically loosen in the opposite direction.You'll need to confirm with a local dealer service. I've had to use an impact socket and heavy breaker bar lodged into the chassis and bumped the engine starter to break some crankshaft bolts loose.

• 2 weeks later...

I know I tried this trick on a car I had before. Well... actually, I was using the lug wrench to find TDC... and I left it in when I cranked the car over.

Maybe you can find a lug wrench that fits... wedge it in there good and crank the car over? if ez is correct, then the bolt should come loose.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it could be like some of the Hondas engines and a few others out there that require a lot of torque to break it away and to put it back on. You could try renting a 3/4" or larger drive impact wrench from one of those rental places and get the right size impact socket. This should do the trick.