HybridZ

vg30et timing?

dysfunctional

hey

i have a JDM 300zx engine, JUST LIKE MTCOOKSON. in my maxima.

i have everything hooked up, and im trying to get it started ... but i can't. i can't get the timing to work right.

my engine cranks over fine, it just doesnt run.

and i think it has to be timing, im getting spark, fuel, and combustion. it just sounds like its firing wrong.

i dont know exactly how to work the mega squirt. im new at this, and was wondering if anyone could help me out.

thanks for all ur help

-james

ok

i have an 87 jdm vg30et. i have JWT cams, ferrara 1mm oversized valves (intake and exhaust), custom rods and pistons. i got the whole motor cryo'd, 5 angle valve job.

i custom built my exhaust, and fuel rail.

i have the mega squirt all wired up and set. but now im just trying to get the timing straight.

i have everything hooked up and it cranks, just wont run. i get fuel and spark. and i keep messing around with the different numbers to put in for my timing on the mega squirt. i dont nkow what #'s to put in.

like the set degree i have is 10

and i've tried everynumber on the top from 25 - 89 . and i dont know what im doign wrong

What do you use for the trigger into megasquirt on this engine? Is it an optical CAS in the distributor like the 83 280zxt? You basically work with one number if you have a simple trigger input like an optical crank angle sensor.

(you try to eyeball your trigger to occur around 50-60 degrees BTDC on the crank, I think the install guide talks about how to do this)

Set your timing to fixed 10 degrees and then vary your trigger angle until you measure 10 degree BTDC on the crank. At that point if your trigger angle is less than 50 you will probably want to move the trigger sensor a little earlier (rotate dizzy on 280zx setups), you always like to trigger around 50 or more degrees early so you have allow yourself around 40 degrees of advance with some headroom. Confused?

Try 60ish for the trigger angle.

Make sure the dizzy isn't 180 degrees off or a tooth off or anything. set the engine at TDC on the compression stroke for #1, and see if the dizzy points to the #1 cylinder. If it isn't, set it to.

Try 60ish for the trigger angle.

Make sure the dizzy isn't 180 degrees off or a tooth off or anything. set the engine at TDC on the compression stroke for #1' date=' and see if the dizzy points to the #1 cylinder. If it isn't, set it to.[/quote']

yea dude i found your site, i put all ur info in my MS and its almost started, but then an injector line poped off. and then my MS started smoking ???? i dont know whats wrong there, but its all messed up.

so its on ice for now, but i got to get the MS all figured out.

but right before the line poped off, the engine poped, and almost started.

like it was almost there.

ur site helped me out alot

Wow

yea dude i found your site' date=' i put all ur info in my MS and its almost started, but then an injector line poped off. and then my MS started smoking ???? i dont know whats wrong there, but its all messed up.

so its on ice for now, but i got to get the MS all figured out.

but right before the line poped off, the engine poped, and almost started.

like it was almost there.

ur site helped me out alot[/quote']

Wow, considering 99% of that info was from memory, I'd say I did a good job.... except your MS apparently caught on fire...

Hm, I might need a disclaimer now that I think about it...

Where did your MS smoke? I know the v3 board has way better flyback circuits, which board are you using? It shouldn't have affected startup though...

the part about the spark' date=' you said for it to be not inverted, i needed it inverted, and it made a transitor go pop.

so i think i got it all figuered out now, ill be working on it once i get the new one in.[/quote']

Really?!

Weird, what coil and transistor are you using? The maxima one, right? What year?

• 2 weeks later...
the part about the spark' date=' you said for it to be not inverted, i needed it inverted, and it made a transitor go pop.

so i think i got it all figuered out now, ill be working on it once i get the new one in.[/quote']

Doh! I remember, it has to be inverted for 99% of all cars, and it is really mislabeled. The way MSNS labels it is really reversed, MSNS's "inverted" spark output is the norm for almost every car, and should be labelled "not inverted".

Sorry.